Total $ Investment?

Fred,

I actually ordered Pecan and Apple wood through Ingersole hardware online. You buy it and then pick it up at the store. I also have a friend that is a cabinet maker and he gives me leftover cherry wood once in a while.

Everything else (even the WSM) will seem cheap compared to what you spend on meat.

Those supermarket circular thingies you get stuffed in your mailbox once a week make excellent free fuel for the chimney starter.

Buy your smoke wood online (I got mine at homedepot.com). Don't settle for the readily available hickory & mesquite. Go for good stuff like apple, cherry, pecan, etc.

WSM 18.5 $279.99
Bag-o-Apple chunks $20
K- $10
Chimney starter?? $14

I think that when your just starting you should just have the basics (unless your loaded). I got my WSM and started playing. After a few cooks I added to the list.

Dr BBQ's book $20
Paul Kirks book $6 used
Maverick e-73 $45

IMO you don't need the tools until you've done a cook and want to have convience (like the maverick for an overnighter).

Thanks Julien. I just ordered a bag of each from the site.

Cheers,
Fred

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Julien Gallant:
Fred,

I actually ordered Pecan and Apple wood through Ingersole hardware online. You buy it and then pick it up at the store. I also have a friend that is a cabinet maker and he gives me leftover cherry wood once in a while. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by j biesinger:
2) some kind of cleaning set up. I have a round tub that I can soak grates in, and use scrubbing pads. the grates (even for the 18.5") are too big to clean inside. Clean up is a drag, so anything you can do to improve it will make you want to cook more
...QUOTE]

If you have a gasser, throw the grates on there for a few minutes to burn everything off. This makes cleaning a breeze. This was an accidental discovery when I needed a place to set the grates for a minute after having smoked 2 butts on them.

Back