Torn between the 18'5 and the "22, mainly about the fuel useage.

Dale L

Hello all, I've been lurking here for some time now (about 3 or 4 years) and I've now decided to buy me a Weber Smokey Mt. So here's the deal. It's only me and my wife that I will be cooking for 80% of the time, and maybe a party of, lets said 12 - 20 on a few occasions. Maybe twice a year.

I have no problems spending the $100 extra for the 22" Weber. But what I'm really concerned about is all the extra charcoal its going to take for me to cook on the 22" for me and the wife. As I'll mostly be que'in 4 slabs of ribs at one time. And maybe 1 to 2 chickens at a time and when I do put a brisket on it will most likely be just one at a time and maybe 2 shoulders at most too.

Now the things I like about the 22" is the space to lay ribs and brisket flat on grill and the just having the extra space. But then is it really worth it when you consider how much fuel it's going to take for these small amounts of rib, chicken, brisket and shoulders.

This is really a tough call for me. At times I lean more to the 18.5" then I read something and I lean to the 22"

Are there anything I'm not thinking about that could help me chose one over the other that I have not mentioned? Any suggestions? Tips? Thoughts? Ideas?

Also I was waiting until after this Labor Day Holiday to see if the prices come down a bit. And if the prices come closer together, say within $50 bucks of each other, then I will buy the 22" out right and just take on the added cost of fuel per cook. Thanks ahead of time.....Dale

The extra fuel costs are negligible.

Just because of the 22's increased size, it will take X more charcoal to bring it up to and hold a specific temp than the 18". But we're probably only talking about a 1~2 lbs. At the current sale prices of $.25/lb, that's just a $.50 diff.

Comparing the volumes of the charcoal rings, the 22's is about 37% larger. If every cook took a whole ring (which they don't), the fuel costs would be 37% higher. So, if the 18" holds 10lbs then the 22 will hold 14lbs at an additional $1 cost.

Frankly, if you can afford the $100 extra for the 22", the fuel costs for the average user are nothing to be concerned about.
icon_wink.gif

BUT ... I would encourage you to go to a local BBQ Galore or ACE Hardware and compare the two side-by-side as the 22 is huge!

But, if you'll "mostly be doing 4 slabs of ribs at one time", and you have the room, get the 22.

Welcome Dale,
Lurking for 3-4 years? Wow.
As for what size WSM, +1 on Travis' advice.

Thanks for the advice and feedback Travis.

And yes Mac, I've been lurking probably a lot longer than 3 or 4 years (more like 6+ years) believe it or not, it's 100% true. I didn't want to scare anyone off by thinking I was a BBQ starker so I dropped a few years! :-)

I've tried many methods from this site over the years. I've always come here to pick up tips and just to stay up on what was going on. No matter what type of smoker, or wanna be smoker, I was using at the time.

But this will be my first WSM so just trying to make the right choice. But after reading Travis's response, I think I'll be getting the WSM 22" Thanks guys

I think you'll do fine no matter what you choose. What Travis posted made good sense.

In my situation I really considered charcoal costs. Since I only see a sale on regular K once or twice a year and that is 2x18 lb bags for $20.

Lately I've been favoring Wicked Good for lump charcoal and that runs $25 for a 22 lb bag. So you can bet I reuse what doesn't burn during a cook.

With the pricing you folks get (so many more bbq'ers down there) on charcoal I don't think you can go wrong with the 22.

Back