Topside of beef (a roasting joint - I think it be like a rump roast)

andrew_l

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi. I'm planning to smoke a topside tomorrow - my first smoke of the year. I'm anxious not to overcook it - last time I followed the temps on the Weber thermometer and it was way over cooked for my tastes. I like it fairly rare - not bloody, but very pink in the middle.
I plan to cook on a fairly high temperature - 350° F- should I be aiming to take the meat off at about 125° internal temp and rest for 30 minutes?
Or higher?

Any advice most welcome!

Also, last spring I found the charcoal from the previous summer rather sluggish. I've put the bag in a warm place - should that work or is it safer to buy some new??!!

Thanks,

Andrew

I'd suggest cooking no higher than 325 grate.
120 dead center should ret you rare/med-rare with a 20-30 min rest.

Have fun.

Thanks for that. I'll follow instructions to the letter!

Planning to rub it with a slather of olive oil, crushed garlic, finely chopped rosemary, basil, thyme and parsley, plenty black pepper and leave for 6 hours or so to absorb flavours. Hope it comes out well!

Thanks,

Andrew

Had some trouble keeping the temp down to 350 - it kept drifting up to 380, but taking the lid right off a couple of times slowed the cook down a little!

End result was excellent - beautifully rare meat, gentle smoke flavour and wonderfully tender. My guests were knocked out! So - thanks Kevin! Will be doing this one a lot!

Andrew

Back