Topic on meat selection??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Hello all,

I know meat selection has been covered before. Can anyone send me in the right direction?
I'd like to try a brisket and pork butt but I don't
think I've ever even seen one! And if not available already a meat selection section covering
the most common BBQ'd meats may be a good idea...
Thanks for your help....

rookieRon

Ron,

Until I started to Q a year ago, I never saw these either. Local supermarkets in my area tend NOT to carry brisket and pork shoulder. Even baby-backs are not a sure thing.

Local WalMart SuperCenter generally carries pork butt and BB's. Often has brisket, too. Even though the pork is "enhanced", it's better than no pork at all!

Ron,
BJ's has a nice meat selection. So too I've heard that Sam's, Costco and such have good selections as well.

Ron, If you have a local butcher he will have all of this stuff for sure. It is where I get all my stuff and it is great. When you get a good relationship with your butcher he will favor you with special cuts...at least mine does!!

I may actually have an advantage when it comes to 'having a good relationship with your butcher'....as my butcher is the Uncle of my VSO. Hmmmm....why aint I married her yet?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Hi Ron.

I see your from Michigan. I have had good luck at Costco's for Pork butts. They carry boneless 2/pak cryovacs.

I'm heading downt to Eastern Market at lunch to pick up my first brisket! That was the only place I could find the whole brisket. The name of the store is Fairway Packing. Their web site is: http://www.fairwaypacking.com

Good luck,

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron F:
Hello all,

I know meat selection has been covered before. Can anyone send me in the right direction?
I'd like to try a brisket and pork butt but I don't think I've ever even seen one! And if not available already a meat selection section covering the most common BBQ'd meats may be a good idea... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click the "Cooking" tab at the top of the page. On that page, in each meat section you will find articles called "Brisket Selection & Prep", "Chicken Selection & Prep", "Pork Rib Selection & Prep", etc. The only one I'm really missing at this point is pork butt, and I have all the material to write it, I just can't seem to get around to doing it!

But for pork butt, you can visit one of the cooking topics like Pork Butt - Mustard Slathered and see photos of what a whole, untrimmed butt looks like. Make sure to click on the thumbnail photo to see the larger version.

I assume this is the kind of material you're talking about when asking for info on meat selection. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your request.
Regards,
Chris

you are right on Chris(as were the others). I don't know how I missed that. I've been to the cooking section a hundred times...

ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back