Top Vent

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
Just asking. Does anyone close or partially close the top vent? My 1st ECB did not have any vents. It usually turned out some great Q.
I was just thinking, if the vent was closed or restricted a little, there would be thicker smoke inside the cooker. Maybe smokier results.
I still think my 1st turkey on an ECB was the best ever. So do my buddies. T-day coming up & getting requests already.

If you have a WSM leave the top vent open. The WSM is a closed system (more or less)and needs a place for the burnt gasses to escape.

Unless they changed the design of the ECB the bottom is open allowing air circulation. The ECB would have worked better if it had a top vent. When people "pimp" their ECB they make it like a WSM by adding vents and restricting air flow from the bottom.

There sure would be more smoke inside the cooker, but your turkey might end up tasting like a cigarette. Need that top vent for ventilation.

If you close, or partially close the top vent, you upset the draw and will more than likely have the coals going out, because they have been starved of oxygen.
It's a common mistake for 1st time users to think that by closing the vent... keeps the smoke in... resulting in smokier tasting food (I know I did it too
icon_rolleyes.gif
) all you need is a wisp of smoke to flavour the food... smoke billowing out, is not a good thing.

You have closed down all 3 bottom vents and your pit temps are still too high, then you might start closing down your top vent to get your fire under control. Usually caused by pitmaster error or inattention when strong winds pick up. The only other time I close my top vents is for storage purposes. You want fresh smoke flowing over and around your food, not stale creosote laden stuff.

Back