Top vent position when using ATC systems

Jamie Ward

TVWBB Member
I've just completed my first dry run using my new NanoQ from BBQ Guru. I must say it did a pretty good job keeping my WSM between 225 and 250 when measured with my Redi Chek remote thermometers.

I'm wondering what amount should the top vent be open when using a ATC system? What have you found works the best for you?

Today on my dry run, I put the bottom damper at 50% on the BBQ Guru Pit Viper blower, and the top vent to 100% open. The pit got a bit warmer than usual a few times today, but I have a whole lot of other new variables in the mix as well. 1) I used no water in the pan and I normally do. 2) This was also my first test of my enclosure. One or both of these new things might have had something to do with the differences I noticed.

I normally open the top 100%. Every once in a while the temp gets to high and I have to close it a little. Its pretty rare though.

I use a stoker with the other dampers closed on the bottom. I always use water in the pan.

BTW your enclosure is very nice. I would love to have something like that.

Bottom vent always 100% closed, let the fan provide oxygen. Top usually around 75-50% depending on wind.

I was hoping to smoke my last batch of spareribs at 275F. with my new Nano but with a full water pan and half 20' bag of Kingsford, I could only get the grate temp to 270F. And after a short time it fell back to 260F., and the fan was staying on most of the time. I finally figured that the 3 gallons of water in the water pan was to much of a heat sink and adjusted the controller to a 250F. setting. Should of gone waterless and used my new 18" clay saucer on top of the water pan.
Without using water in the pan I can see how I might have to close the top vent a bit after getting up to 275F.

22.5 WSM
Nano Temp Controller

I have the DigiQ11 for 2 yrs.
Here is what I do.
1.Do not put water in pan.(as per manufacture).
2.When the temp gets around 200°close the fan down to 50%.
3.I regulate the top vent to control the temp.
(depending type of coal,outside temps ect,I usually have it around 1/4 open).
Hope this helps you out.
I love mine....Set it and forget it!!!!
Chuck...

I have a 18 1/2 inch WMS and a DIGIQ 2 DX. I only open the fan to 1/2 and I close all the other vents EXCEPT the top one, which I only open 1/4 to 1/2 and my DigiQ usually keeps the pit nailed on target temp. I load the pit up with Stubbs Bricketts, and leave a coffee can in the center to keep any brickuettes from getting there. I then light about 1/2 chimney of hot coals and as I pour the coals into the center of the can, I pull the can out with pliers and I already have my hardwood placed where I want them. I DO USE heavy duty rubber gloves I bought from Bill at Texas BBQ Rub for $10.00 Bucks, best value I've come across.

Again, all VEnts closed except the top one a bit open. Has worked great for me.

George does the exact thing I do.They even gave me the aluminum tape to tape the rest of the vents. Love Stubbs,I've used the same coals for 4 bbq and I can even get more. (Stubbs coal on sale $5.00 a bag)15lbs. and very little ash.
Chuck.I forgot! it's at Lowes.

Back