Top Sirloin

Have a bunch of top sirloin taking up space in the freezer and need room for some pork ribs. Pulled out a big steak and cooked it for supper. Anyone can see by looking at the results that I don't grill steaks very often. Didn't get a good sear, but it tasted great. Used RO all natural briquets. Some fajitas are on the weekend menu with the leftovers.
[ ]
You could always use that cut in an Asian story fry. As in beef with broccoli in oyster sauce. It sears well and has great beef flavor.

Your cook looks great. A little oil on the steak before dropping it to the coals will attract flames and build sear.

We had the kids over for lunch yesterday and I grilled bacon wrapped sirloin steaks topped with garlic herb butter. I had not done that in years. Long story short, they turned out fantastic! The beef flavor awesome and the price was a lot more reasonable. There weren't any leftovers.

Hi Bob,
I‘ve been grilling the heck out of them top sirloins this last several months because Safeway had them on sale about every Friday.
Mine normally come with a thick fat strip on one side.
I cook on the performer with vents wide open to get the coals zingin.
I‘ll stand the steak on end and sear that fat for a while then cook indirect until mid/upper 120’s and then go back to sear with a little garlic butter until done.

Dude fajitas?
Really?
Why didn’t I think of that? :)
I know what I’m doing them next time.

Hi Bob,
I‘ve been grilling the heck out of them top sirloins this last several months because Safeway had them on sale about every Friday.
Mine normally come with a thick fat strip on one side.
I cook on the performer with vents wide open to get the coals zingin.
I‘ll stand the steak on end and sear that fat for a while then cook indirect until mid/upper 120’s and then go back to sear with a little garlic butter until done.

Dude fajitas?
Really?
Why didn’t I think of that? :)
I know what I’m doing them next time.
Thanks Andy. Sounds like a good plan. I did think of reverse searing but went the quick and easy route. Probably using both charcoal baskets would have helped. Got these at Safeway too. With today's prices you can't beat 3.99/lb.

Back