Top rack vs bottom rack

Matt Mills

TVWBB Member
When cooking indirectly, is there a large difference between the temp of the top and bottom rack on an 18" WSM? I like to use a water and apple juice mix when cooking ribs. Not sure if this changes temp ranges between the two racks.

My top rack runs slightly hotter.... water and apple juice mix to spritz with or in the pan? I run a dry pan, wouldn't dream of putting water in it.

I normally put a couple cups of water/apple juice mix in the pan and also spritz with apple juice every half hour on ribs. I've only done a couple cooks but it has turned out well so far. Just wondering for future cooks if I decide to do a long cook like brisket or pork shoulder and ribs later on the same cooker.

My 18.5 and my 22.5 both run a few degrees different but I don't use water I use a clay pot saucer which seems to keep the temps in check. Use oven thermostats to check the grate level heat if you want a inexpensive way to check

Water in the pan = Top rack cooks 10-15 degrees hotter than bottom
No water in the pan = Bottom rack cooks 10-15 degrees hotter than the top

I would verify this with your own thermometers and experimentation but that's what I've found to be true on my 18 and 22 wsms

Back