Top Rack vs. Bottom Rack Temp Difference

Robert V

TVWBB Member
I've never really measured the temp difference between the top and bottom grates before on my 22.5" WSM. I put on two pork butts last night with water in the pan, and there has been a 15-20 degree difference between the top and bottom grates all night. I really didn't expect that much of a difference. Is this what everyone else is experiencing as well? I definitely want to see what the difference is when I run it with no water in the pan.

I've never measured--but always suspected--a difference in the two grates. When doing an overnight cook, I often try to switch places of the meat, mid-cook.

Yes, with water in the pan; reversed with an empty pan.

It does not matter.

At higher cook temps, without water in the pan (or with sand/ceramic), meat on the lower grate might weather more direct heat.

I will caution you (as I have to many, often on deaf ears) not to get sidetracked into the discussions of cooktemp variances between grates, or grate and lid, or vent and lid, etc., and not to bother temping all over the place.

None of it matters at all.

My own interest in this is not about tenderness, ultimate "doneness," etc; it's about two big hunks of meat that could be cooking at different rates, which I'd prefer to minimize for meal planning purposes.

"[T]wo big hunks of meat" can easily cook at different times even were the temps at each grate the same. (And even if you temp both grates it does not at all mean that each reading reflects the actual cooking temps.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Yes, with water in the pan; reversed with an empty pan.

It does not matter.

At higher cook temps, without water in the pan (or with sand/ceramic), meat on the lower grate might weather more direct heat.

I will caution you (as I have to many, often on deaf ears) not to get sidetracked into the discussions of cooktemp variances between grates, or grate and lid, or vent and lid, etc., and not to bother temping all over the place.

None of it matters at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being new to Comp BBQ, I'm not fully understanding why you are saying the temp between the grates doesn't matter. As suspected, the butt on the top grate is done, and the one on the bottom was still about 15 degrees from when I usually take it off. I went ahead and moved it to the top grate to hopefully get it done a bit quicker. Instead of swapping the butts from the bootom and top grates in the middle of the cook, I'm thinking of starting the butt on the bottom grate about an hour before the one on the top. That should give me meat that should be ready to come off about the same time.

K Kruger,

I realize you've explained your reasoning to this before, but as a new TVWB'er and a newb to comp cooking I'd appreciate hearing what you have to say. If you don't feel like writing it out again feel free to link the other discussions.

Thanks,
Brian

I'm with K Kruger. Although I think it matters a little, to the extent of using temps as a relative guide. Basically put your meat on and when it's done, take it off. Over simplifying a bit maybe but it really doesn't need to be fretted over. Your everyday kitchen oven probably has temp swings of 20-40 degrees so trying to nail down temps to exact numbers will only frustrate you. I think we sometimes try to over think the process. It's barbeque. Have fun, get full.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Carlson:
I'm with K Kruger. Although I think it matters a little, to the extent of using temps as a relative guide. Basically put your meat on and when it's done, take it off. Over simplifying a bit maybe but it really doesn't need to be fretted over. Your everyday kitchen oven probably has temp swings of 20-40 degrees so trying to nail down temps to exact numbers will only frustrate you. I think we sometimes try to over think the process. It's barbeque. Have fun, get full. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand what you are saying John, but if I'm cooking in a competition and trying to follow a timeline and I want to get my pork off by a certain time in order to start my other meats, wouldn't the temp on various sections of the pit matter? If I'm cooking Pork Butts that are generally the same weight, one on the bottom grate and one on the top, I don't see how they would both come off about the same time if the consistant temp difference between the two grates is 15-20 degrees. If I'm doing a casual cook at home though, I totally agree that the meat is done when it's done.

I think the point they are trying to make is that no 2 pieces of meat are exactly the same. You can have a timeline but there are no guarantees. I once did 2- 8 lb. butts side by side and one took 10 hours the other 12. Some cuts have more water content, some may have more fat. We follow guidelines but nothing is exact.

Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Michaud:
I think the point they are trying to make is that no 2 pieces of meat are exactly the same. You can have a timeline but there are no guarantees. I once did 2- 8 lb. butts side by side and one took 10 hours the other 12. Some cuts have more water content, some may have more fat. We follow guidelines but nothing is exact.

Eric </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Eric. I understand that every piece of meat is different. My original post was just asking if anyone else with a 22.5" WSM is experiencing the temp difference of 15-20 degrees between the two grates. To be honest, I have always just cooked all my meat on the top grate so never had to worry about the bottom grate temp. With the difference in each piece of meat, adding the temp difference between the grates adds another issue to trying to get the meat off the cookers by a certain time. If the 15-20 difference between the grates is a common thing, then I know I need to take that into account in the timeline when putting on my meat.

I understand that every piece of meat is different.
Every piece of meat I buy is the same as the one before. No material difference. Size (thickness) matters.
As to top vs bottom grate, have no idea. I've never used the bottom grate.
icon_smile.gif
If I did, nothing would change for me. Cook to tender no matter where they are.

Meat seems to come out more juicy when I smoke on the bottom rack using water in the pan when OAT's are in the 60's to 70's.

Robert, I have an 18.5 WSM. Yes, there is a temp difference between the top and bottom.DOn't see why the 22 should be any different just because it's bigger. Kevin is right,which grate is the hotter one depends on whether you use water in the pan or you don't. TEMP IS JUST AN APPROXIMATE GUIDE. It gives me an idea when I should be looking for the meat to be done and done is determined by tenderness of the meat NOT when it reaches a certain temp. Each piece of meat is different ,as an above poster has already noted. Just because they are similar in size doesn't mean they are exactly the same nor will they be finished at the same time.This is not an exact science.You learn what your equipment can do and adjust your cooking style to it.

I dont know about temp differences because I dont measure the middle, only the lid temp. I have noticed a difference in bark formation and smoke ring. When I do 4 pork butts I switch all the meat around, bottom to top-top to bottom and flip it. The meat just above the water pan does not have as of bark otherwise.

There probably is a difference in temps between the grates. It takes a while to get familiar with the nuances of your cooker. I don't think a 20 degree difference will matter much in the final product. Like I said, I think most commercial ovens have at least that much of a temp variance while they're cooking. I use the lid therm as a general guide and check the meat periodically. When I compete, I build in a couple hour cushion on my cook times. If they're done early, they go in a cooler to hold. If not, I have time to finish. If things are going WAY too fast for whatever reason, I will take the meat off for a while. The most important ingredient in any cook is patience. Once you get used to your cooker, you'll know exactly when you need to get things started but there is no exact science. Good Luck!

Maybe this is only of interest to those doing competition cooks where you have to hit a specific time. I'd certainly want to know that meat on the bottom rack is going to, generally, finish before the top rack. Perhaps I'll ask over there.

Brian

Hi,

According to Kevin Kolman of Weber, there is a 15 degree (roughly) difference between the top and bottom rack.

What surprised me was the difference (according the PartyQ) between the top rack and the thermometer in the lid of my 22" wsm. It was about a 30 degree difference.

I have a feeling that one of the two was off.

Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What surprised me was the difference (according the PartyQ) between the top rack and the thermometer in the lid of my 22" wsm. It was about a 30 degree difference.

I have a feeling that one of the two was off.

Eric </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's normal for my 18.5".

Back