Top 5 Smokers and BBQs under $500

John Wallace

TVWBB Member
I've been disappointed with many "reviews" on BBQ equipment--I sometimes wonder if the authors have even seen the product they are reviewing.

Each unit in this Top Five addresses a slightly different market demand segment, and each was either tested or thoroughly inspected and researched.

Not everyone will agree with the selections, but your feedback would be appreciated.

i have no experiance with most of those. but i do think that leaving out the lowly kettle was/is a big diservice. its the only unit that can "do it all" for your average household.

I thought about that too, George, but the Kettle is more of a grill. We might do a separate rundown on those sometime, but I'm not sure if anything else can come close--unless it's a Performer!

Well written and easy to comprehend. I am saving the article for my son who will soon be returning from an overseas military assignment. He will be shopping for an outdoor cooker and this article will be a real good starting point! As an aside, I believe the WSM to be more versatile than indicated in the article.

The Pitts and Pitts model I want is $2,800 or so. Before we move away form Houston. I will own a Pitts and Spitts or Klose pit.

Good plan, get it before you move! I have a P&S 24 x 36 and love it, but shipping to N. California was $600!

As you could probably count the number of Klose and P&S offsets in Sacramento on two hands, I had seen neither and went from reviews and user comments. I think the Klose might be a little cheaper and might have a slightly better build but my wife said either it's stainless or it's staying in Houston so I had no choice;-)

The only gripe I've ever had is with the salesman and he was beyond worthless. After waiting a month and they forgot to ship it I barked and he did throw in a bunch of free stuff. On the other hand I talked to Henry Klose's wife for an hour one night and she could not have been more gracious and helpful.

The one option I'd strongly recommend is the flame grill lid for the firebox--I use it constantly.

Either pit is top quality and both will last for decades. Mine holds 225 deg like it's on rails. Nothing but admiration for the P&S product, and I think you'll find Klose users feeling the same way.

I went to Lowes today and saw some Char Broil smokers/grills. They didn't have the Silver but what I saw you hit the nail right on the head for quality. I opened one grill up to look inside and was afraid I was going to break it. I don't see those lasting more than a couple of seasons. I bought my WSM used and its 10 years old. I had to replace the bottom vents (Which Weber replaced free of charge) and door and now I'm sure its going to last for another 10 years.

I only have experience with the WSM (obviously) and the Silver Smoker. But in all honesty I just got the Silver Smoker because someone put it out on the curb for the trash man. It appears it was only used once and thrown out (a common phenomenon with some of the "El Cheapo" units you can buy). But as the review acurately stated, with some "mods." you can make some really good Q. You might have referenced some of the "ECB" type units because even to someone who has a clue as to what they are doing, these things can be very difficult to work with. But, to a newbie; a food destroyer. All in all I found the review to be accurate, easy to understand and I would consider it helpful to anyone interested in purchasing something to make good BBQ on. Next time just warn them about the $30.00 smokers.

john, yes its a "grill" yet even weber says it can smoke. and i'd say better than some off sets that arent that great like the char broil that "needs mods to be even decent. but as mentioned it might be a good idea to warn folks what to stay away from.

Once I had one. I was cooking some steaks. The thing warped and the food grate fell on the charcoal. Not to mention the paint fell off.

Back