Tools for the Job

Thanks Bruce,
Your solution was an excellent upgrade to what I was doing before. The wood worktable top was a game changer. It was also benefit to my back since the worktable was as at a workable height.
I did this lid, and I just have to touch it up the edges with some #0000 steel wool and my task will be complete. Thanks again.

Workmate pic 8.jpgWorkmate pic 6.jpgWorkmate pic 5.jpg

Yep, all my lid work is done on those work tables. Just the way you are doing it.
Yes, I know I got a little excited, but it is nice find a solution that works and relieves my back pain. I do not have the greatest of backs.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and opinions, they were appreciated.

Yes, I know I got a little excited, but it is nice find a solution that works and relieves my back pain. I do not have the greatest of backs.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and opinions, they were appreciated.
I have a bad back too. and that is why I have that stainless steel table as high as I do. I don't have to bend over at all when working on grill parts. I should add a few inches to the work benches as well.

I've had a Black & Decker worktable like this for years and just have it folded up sitting in the corner.
I've been scraping lids on the ground on my knees for a year....

It's threads like these that change the game lol
Thanks for bringing up this topic because now I'll finally get some use out of mine and save my back. I can even use my rubber tip clamps to hold the lid in place on the table for maximum scraping pressure!

I know some people will read this and be like "Wow...what an idiot to not think to do this" lol but some of our brains just aren't wired a certain way. You don't know what you don't know!

And thanks for the pro tip to use a towel/blanket for a cover too.

@John-NY,
I know exactly how you feel.
I think sometimes by posting it may be something of an obvious solution to most. My thought is, it might be entertaining at minimum to follow along and if I help someone in same situation along the way all the better.

There's no "one right way" to do any of this stuff so posting different ways of working is a good way to share information with others. That's why I don't just post the "after" pictures and say look what I did.

My table at home has been a giant brute trash can. lol. I don’t have easy access to a hose at home so I spray lids with easy off, let them soak and scrape it down into trash. I do my initial scrape with lid caps on. Then set it in my lap once caps are off.

@Cody Bratton,
I used to do mine in a similar manner on a deck box with the endcaps on, but I found when I did it that way, I would damage the paint on the endcaps.
But as Steve says, "there is no one right way to do it", I am only stating what would happen to me.

@Cody Bratton,
I used to do mine in a similar manner on a deck box with the endcaps on, but I found when I did it that way, I would damage the paint on the endcaps.
But as Steve says, "there is no one right way to do it", I am only stating what would happen to me.
I have a blasting cabinet at my disposal, so to me scuffing up the end caps isnt the end of the world. But agree 100% that what works well for one, my not be the same for others.

Back