Too much smoke?

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
I've got my 2 butts on for the night, but I put too much hickory chunks in the top layer while doing the minion method and I'm getting a bunch of smoke.

Should I not worry about it and let the lower air flow take care of it or should I manually remove some smoke chunks via the hot squat? What you guys think?

IMHO it is nearly impossible to get too much smoke into a butt due to the thickness of the cut. I wouldn't worry about it myself.

With me, it always smokes alot in the beginning. After the temps stabilize about 40 minutes in, the smoke seems to mellow quite a bit.

I agree that there's not much to worry about. I also always get a good deal of smoke at the beginning. And, fwiw, I also put some chunks on the bottom of the grate before I put the charcoal in. But,m i mostly use apple for pork with just a bit of hickory.

I get alot of smoke early when firing the smoker also, but I'm with the "never can get too much smoke" crowd. I've never had a friend or family member tell me that something had too much smoke taste =)

I've only done about 8 butts, but they do seem somewhat resistant to oversmoking compared to many other meats. If you're worried, use some fireplace tongs and pull some out.

Back