Too Early to Rub?

Matt M.

Hey guys, I plan on doing a Boston Butt first thing Saturday morning. I have a little more time tonight than tomorrow night so I was wondering: is it too early to go ahead and put the rub on and refrigerate? I know they typically only say to let it refrigerate 12 hours or so - I didn't know rubbing tonight and letting it sit uncoverd in the fridge for ~36 hours or so would dry it out too much or anything. Thoughts?

BTW, I've actually been requested to do the meat for this get together! They had one sampling a couple of weeks ago and now I'm the designated meat man. The WSM rocks!
icon_smile.gif

The rub flavor doesn't penetrate the meat that much,no matter how long you let it sit. It only takes a minute to slather and rub a butt,so I would wait. IMO

Yea I would agree, to early. Since it is such a long cook anyway, I often rub, inject then start the wsm. Once up to temp, put the meat right on.

Obviously everyone has their own method, but I've had great results after putting the rub on the evening before, wrapping tightly with plastic wrap, setting out a few hours, and cutting the plastic wrap off just before going to the smoker.

I myself thought it was a bit early too, so I held off - no need risking it when you're cooking for a group. I've rubbed right before the smoke as well as the night before and couldn't really tell the difference, so I'll probably go ahead and do it tomorrow night to save some time Sat. morning. Was just curious if anybody had rubbed it this early before - I see not. Thanks for the feedback!

I've done the night before rubs, and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in taste, so now I just rub and slap them on the WSM. As for the salt pulling the moisture out, I think that is overblown as well. A butt is a big piece of meat, so if it does get some moisture removed, it will only be down a 1/4" at most.

Mike, Think your right about that. I think enough moisture is withdrawn to make your rub adhere to the surface. Kind of got used to the mustard slather for a rub binder

For big hunks like butts, lightly rub them the night before AND again heavily before they go on. Just make sure you rub isn't overly salty if its going to be applied twice.

The only way you can really dry out a pork butt is way overcooking it. You are already overcooking it taking it to 195*, what saves it is all the internal fat, which isn't going anywhere.

I never understood the mustard slather. My rub sticks fine without it and it makes things a messy pain to put on the smoker.

Back