Tomahawk on the Summit Kamado E6

I gave the Weber Slate the night off tonight. The Kamado was more than willing to fill in.

Came out pretty good. Nice medium rare. I've done very thick ribeyes before, but never a tomahawk. It tastes the same :) but it looks really cool on the grill and cutting board.

I like to use McCormick Montreal steak. 1 tsp on each side. Then a half a teaspoon on the edges. This steak was 2.8 lb with bone.

Had the charcoal baskets all the way to the left and raised up to the highest level. I did a reverse sear until the internal temp was 125 F. Took about an hour and 15 minutes to reach that internal temp. I stopped watching my phone's stopwatch after an hour so I'm estimating.

Brought up the heat of the Kamado until the dome temperature was 450°. Then I went ahead and seared 1 minute each side. Probably had about a half an inch to an inch of space between the meat and the hot lump when searing.

Attachments

• 20240707_151120.jpg
    20240707_151120.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240707_164217.jpg
    20240707_164217.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240707_164456.jpg
    20240707_164456.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 23
Nicely done Tony. Might I suggest something to keep the Slate in the game: Smoke the Tomahawks until 110 internal and then sear them on your Slate. Ya gonna love it
Thank you. I'll have to give that a try one of these days. I know in the past I've seared on a cast iron pizza pan by Lodge. Came out freaking great. I'll have to loop in the slate.

I am new to the Kamado and am having trouble figuring temps. I use the two CB and put them together in the middle. I basically have the top valve almost completely closed and the bottom on the lowest spot (after putting both fully open to get the grill hot. How long does it take to cool down to 400? Or is my mistake the first part (having both top and bottom fully open?

That tomahawk looks amazing! Great call on using the Kamado, reverse sear sounds like the perfect way to cook such a thick cut. Love the Montreal steak seasoning and those sear marks are on point. Definitely a win!

Thanks Tony. I thought it was recommended to start it really hot. That's not the case?
Not the "Tony" you asked, but get the Kamado to the temp you need to start cooking, and that depends on what you are cooking.

For example, if I'm going to reverse sear a steak, I get my Kamado to about 250° then start to adjust the temperature to keep it there or close to it. No need for me to get the entire Kamado hot since I need it at about 250 degrees. Overshooting my temp just means I have to wait for the temp to come down.

If I'm going to make a pizza and I need my Kamado at, let's say 500°, I get it to 500 right away. And I hold the temp there.

Hopefully I did not misunderstand your question

Not the "Tony" you asked, but get the Kamado to the temp you need to start cooking, and that depends on what you are cooking.

For example, if I'm going to reverse sear a steak, I get my Kamado to about 250° then start to adjust the temperature to keep it there or close to it. No need for me to get the entire Kamado hot since I need it at about 250 degrees. Overshooting my temp just means I have to wait for the temp to come down.

If I'm going to make a pizza and I need my Kamado at, let's say 500°, I get it to 500 right away. And I hold the temp there.

Hopefully I did not misunderstand your question
this was my exact question. I was taught to hit the temp high and clean the grill with it then. Then adjust. So I will do what you suggest. My follow up on that is when do you clean your grill? Before the charcoal?

Back