Today's Stoker Cook Graph

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm 16 hours into a 17 lbs (two butts) pork butt cook and I had to share my graph. Got to love just setting this baby and just walking away, sleeping, going shopping etc. and being able to come home and see how your cooks been doing. Oh, and I was monitoring the cook while out shopping from my Android phone just for the hell of it.

Butts2012040819hrF.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Got to love just setting this baby and just walking away, sleeping, going shopping etc. and being able to come home and see how your cooks been doing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>kinda takes the excitement (and sometimes angst) out of cookin' outside...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">kinda takes the excitement (and sometimes angst) out of cookin' outside... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's definitly one way to look at it. I'm a technology/gadget guy so for me in brings together two hobbies that I enjoy greatly, kind of the perfect marriage of the two.

UPDATE: Cook went 19 hours and butts were absolutely amazing. After I removed the final butt I bumped the heat up to 275 and smoked some chicken thighs. Total running time about 22 worry free hours.

Larry, I like to see complete ATC cook graphs to compare to my own cooks and better plan future cooks. Looks like you've got that Stoker working real good for ya, with a very short ramp in coming up to temp. Very cool.

Anyhow, sixteen hours for couple of 8 poundish butts is a little longer than I get cooking with water at about 230* at the grate if I position the probe between the butts (hanging below, actually), but where exactly was your pit temp probe tip, and did you cook both butts on the top grate? Any tips you'd have on the best way to measure grate temp would be greatly appreciated. My probe is a Maverick high temp 90* probe, not the short straight probe that came with the unit. I fried that one, but the newer one is a little trickier in some ways to position. I did some shorter (12-14 hr) cooks but have decided that my 14-16 hours butts probably come off more evenly cooked, cooking with water two to a grate, at least.

Thanks for any tips you might have.

Wow. Looks like you turned on an oven and put it in. I don't use an ATC (yet) but would love to hear more about your startup process and maybe try to learn from it with out using one. The lack of over shooting is intriguing

Dave - I started the cook a litter differently than I usually do. I let the cooker come to temp naturally and then once I got to temp I turned my Stoker on. I've done this before with pretty decent results.

This cooker was done on my Komodo Kamado (see picture below), however, I try for similar probe placement when using my WSM. The entire cook (butts then Chicken)went about 22 hours. I cleaned-up this morning and it looked like I had at least another 12 hours of fuel left. On my WSM running dry I can get close to a 24 hour cook out of a full load of Rancher. Regarding Grates, on two butts I got top grate on the WSM.

Jeff R - As I wrote above, this startup was a little different as I dumped my lit, assempled my deflector, drip pan, grate and put the meat on, closed her up and let her come to temp naturally and then turned my Stoker on. What I was also impressed by on this cook was how after opening the cooker and removing the first butt how she settled back in to target temp without any spikes. I simply set the target temp to 30 degrees for 5 minutes and then back to 230. Piece of cake.

Easter20121.jpg

Easter20122.jpg

Of course. I should've known you weren't using the wsm with such a quick start-up and steady temps.

Thanks! Those Kamados are cool looking cookers.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Of course. I should've known you weren't using the wsm with such a quick start-up and steady temps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh I don't know, my WSM stays just as steady. Maybe not quite the ramp up but darn close.

Back