To trim or not to trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ines Burriola

Closed Account
Hi guys! I'm doing brisket, turkey legs, spares and brats for the Memorial Day weekend. I'm thinking I won't trim the spares St Louis style as I have always done but just smoke them whole. For anyone who has done this, how did it work out room wise in the WSM and ease of trimming after they're done. I'm looking to cut down on prep time as I'm working and painting around the house while preparing for my Memorial Day BBQ. Or should I just forget about the house work? If the later I will need an excuse for the wife. I think I will have at least three racks. TIA.

Good Q'in
Chach

Ines-

First things first, I've cooked them sans trimming, and it works out fine. Not sure how many you are cooking, but if you don't trim them, it is tough to get two slabs to lay down next to each other without overlapping. I'd suggest a rib rack. They will take longer to get done..... If I do them this way, I don't usually do much trimming afterward, just cut them into rib portions.

How many slabs of ribs are you cooking?? I ask because I don't claim to be a master, but with a sharp boning knife, I can trim down a slab of ribs to St Louis or KC style in about a minute. Should leave you plenty of time to paint (unless, of course, you're looking for an excuse not to!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

HTH,
Rich G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back