To tie or not to tie

Mike Graef

TVWBB Member
I am doing my first overnight, a pair of Mr. Browns. Costco Cryo, no bones, 14 pounds total. What are people's thoughts on tying versus not?

Thanks,

I've never done a boneless Mike, but from what I've read on this site, I think I would tie.

Check the Cooking section here for lots of great info.

JimT

Mike - I've done lots of boneless butts from Costco. I almost always tie them, though I've done both.

The only reason, really, to tie them is to try and keep the butchered hunks of meat in a cohesive mass - and to minimize small chunks wandering off on their own getting dried out. So, when you tie it, do it just enough to get it to stay together. Don't worry too much about it - it's not like trussing a turkey or tying a butterflied leg of lamb. The reason you don't want too much string is because when it is done, when you remove the string, bark inevitibly comes off of it too.

Last, before you tie it up, I like to salt and pepper the inside bits of the butt that will be tied up (i.e., the parts that won't be exposed to the outside smoke). It's a way to boost flavor a bit. However, I only rub the outside of the butt, since sometimes if you rub the inside then tie it, it gets a funky gray-ish color. So... salt and pepper the inside, then rub the outside after you tie it like normal.

Enjoy!

I am actually doing the same thing in the early AM. Mike my question to you is what if I already put some rub on the inside where you said to salt and pepper. Will I notice an odd taste of the funky gray-ish meat??

No, but the rub will be moist, pasty even if you've applied a lot to the interior.

When the butt is done resting separate the roast carefully into large chunks so that you can examine the interior rubbed portions. If you wish you can then scrape off the interior rub before pulling.

Thanks for the info. I have the alarm set to go off at 4:30am to get the coals started. Is it always best to use the top rack when only smoking 1 meat. Is there an advantage of cooking on the rack just above the water pan??

The top rack is my preference for cooking one meat. It seems to be drier heat and so you can develope marginally better bark.

like steve said...top rack is just easier to use, so I'd use that, definitely.

Bob, that's a good idea using the metal skewers. You probably lose less bark that way anyhow.

Adam, good advice, everything came out perfect. Had a little discoloration since I rubbed before tied, but Mr Brown was Renowned.

Can't say I am pleased at what your Dodgers did to my Giants over the weekend, though. I did see your Qing tunes on the other thread and found that we would have a similar sound, both with our tunes and the kids songs.

I did a comp. practice PB cook last weekend using Costco boneless butts and I didn't tie them. My theory at the time was that it would provide more surface area for bark, which it did. I was really happy with them.

John

http://static.flickr.com/96/207456884_0ca40ba12a.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/95/207405913_d3e5f4bb02.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/58/207549313_1b9f8de39f.jpg?v=0

(Note from Moderator: Changed inline photos to links. See Adding Photos to Discussion Forum Posts for guidelines.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Graef:
... Can't say I am pleased at what your Dodgers did to my Giants over the weekend, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> But I sure couldn't be more pleased!!! that maddux/schmidt match up was a classic.

John - looks like your smoke turned out great. Congrats!

Tied, just to make sure I have room for both PBs on the same rack, also to keep loose ends of meat from falling through the grate or hanging off the edge. I put Southern Succor Rub on all available surfaces before I tie and they cook up fine with no discoloration for those unexposed areas.

Back