To Rack or Not to Rack.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Trammell

TVWBB Fan
Today, in a local hardware store, I passed by a Weber Rib Rack and picked one up. I have never used one of these before, and aren't sure if it has any merit. Can some of the A team out there give some feedback on the pros and cons of these? Thanks in advance, and there are three slabs of BRITU's waiting on your guidance!

Pat,

For what it's worth, I did 3 racks of baby backs two weeks ago. I cut them in half and was able to get two racks in the rib rack and the third rack leaning against the ones in the rack...all on the top cooking grate. Lay 'em flat, roll 'em or use the rib rack, from what I've seen and read it doeesn't really seem to affect the outcome. GOOD LUCK!

Hi Pat!

I use rib racks all the time. I trim off some of the end bones and lean them against or lay them on top of the ribs in the rack. This way you can fit 4-5 slabs of ribs on 1 grate.

They work especially nice in the 22 1/2" kettle grill.

They don't change anything about the cook, so prepare like you always do. If you foil...don't use the rib rack after you have foiled.....you can stack them...you want to keep them flat so you catch and accumulate the juices.

Kevin

Just reading your posting.When I cook ribs I've always been careful that the racks don't touch.

What your saying is I can kind of overlap them and it won't effect the cooking? If so look out my Weber just got bigger and it didn't change size /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That is why I love this site I learn something new every day /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Guys, that's great insight! Stogie, I particularly appreciate the heads up on foiling. Moisture is key. Racks it is, and we'll see how things turn out. Got three slabs ready to go!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Norman...

I also try to avoid the slabs touching, but in some cases, that just isn't possible.

I cut off 3 bones on one end of the rack(I wish Weber would have given us a just a few more inches!). With the remaining slab, I place that in the rib rack. This will allow 5 slabs to be cooked....you can place one slab in the "front" portion of the rack.

With the 3-bone pieces, I lay them on top of the racks that are already in the rib rack. Yes, they touch, but place the pieces bone side down on top of the other slabs and you will be OK.

To avoid this, I bought another WSM! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back