To pull or not to pull ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello again /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OK here's the situation. Some of my friends have requested the pulled pork. I've got 4 butts in the fridge right now sitting in the rub and I am planning to smoke them tomorrow.

Question is: When delivering the food to each individual, should I pull the pork first ?

note: the meat will NOT be delivered hot it will be in the fridge for a day or so.

What is the best way to store the smoked butt?

Should I pull everything and put in sererate zip locks? Or should I deliver the butt as one piece? Pros and cons ?

If I do the latter what would be the instructions to give to a person? Can it be pulled cold? Should it be re-heated? If so how ?

I know this is a loaded request, but as always your advice is extremely appreciated !

Thanks in advance,

Marc

I think you have two choices:

1. <LI>Cook the butts, pull the meat, portion into Ziploc bags, and refrigerate. Pros: Your friends get ready to eat meat. Cons: More work for you.
    <LI>Cook the butts, refrigerate, deliver whole to friends, let them reheat and pull. Pros: Less work for you; your friends have the experience of pulling pork. Cons: More work for your friends.
I don't think there's any difference in the quality of the meat your friends will enjoy if you pull it vs. if they pull it.

I don't think it's possible to pull pork when it's cold.

You can reheat in many different ways, but "low and slow" is the way to go. For pulled meat, microwave on a low setting for several minutes, stirring and checking the temp until heated to your liking; or cover and place in the oven and reheat at 200-250*F. Stir in a little sauce, if you like. For a whole butt, wrap in foil and reheat at 300*F in the oven for a couple of hours, then pull.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. I just clicked search at the top of this page, searched on "reheat" and got a bunch of hits on reheating pork butt. Might check that out for other thoughts on the subject.

Hiya Chris,

Thanks for your most excellent reply. I'll ask them what they prefer !

Here's a stupid question for you: The term pulling pork. I never really understood the terminology. I mean, OK, I pull the meat apart, is that all that is meant? or is there some "pulling action" that I am supposed to be doing. I just use my hands the same way I do when taking the meat of a chicken for sandwiches. Am I missing something or is that all there is to it?

You mention that my friends get to "experience" pulling pork, that is why I am asking...

Thanks so much !

Marc

No, there's nothing more to it than you described--just pulling it apart by hand into bite-sized pieces, removing the fat and any undesirable bits.

Have fun,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back