To Mop or not to Mop

Tim Harris Sr.

TVWBB Member
Hello

I keep reading posts that say not to peek..I like to Mop my pork every 45 mins or so. When I get my WSM, Is it even necessary to mop?

How do some of you pro's out there approach your cooks when it comes to mopping?

Hi Tim...

Some will say yes to mopping, and, some will say no. I personally like to mop toward the end of the cook. Maybe the last 3 or 4 hours.

For me, mops are for the floor. I do some things right at the end of the cook, but never been a big mopper. Mostly because I like to let the cooker do its thing. I treat the meat like its in detention, and has to think about what it did. Opening the lid is like a glimpse of freedom, which the meat has not earned until it is done.

It isn't necessary, but it sure can make a huge difference in taste. Try the Mr.Brown recipe on two butts, mop one not the other and see for yourself. Use the sop (I use a brush and baste it on) right down to the sludgy bottom and paint that stuff on. I love using that sop if I have time. (I sub out some of the paprika in that recipe for ground chilis)

I can't remember if I read it in a post on TVWB or where it was but I do mop on the halfs. So if it is a 12 hr total cook time you mop at 6hrs into the cook...then after another 3hrs...then after 1.5 hrs...etc. Seems to work for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R.:
Opening the lid is like a glimpse of freedom, which the meat has not earned until it is done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is the funniest sentence i have read in a long time!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For me, mops are for the floor. I do some things right at the end of the cook, but never been a big mopper. Mostly because I like to let the cooker do its thing. I treat the meat like its in detention, and has to think about what it did. Opening the lid is like a glimpse of freedom, which the meat has not earned until it is done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on brother!

I've tried shooting butts with a spray bottle through the vent hole and door, but gave up when I realized that it didn't do much in terms of flavor.

I read something that made sense to me about mopping. It was described as temporarily cooling the surface of the roast to compensate for the fact that the surface is the hottest. The effect was supposed to even out the cooking of the roast. I rarely see this point addressed in most bbq books, but it seems to make more sense to me than the "added flavor" angle that is usually used as justification.

either way, I gave up on it a long time ago and haven't seen a need to do it since.

Originally posted by Tim Harris Sr.:
I like to Mop my pork every 45 mins or so. When I get my WSM, Is it even necessary to mop? QUOTE]

Each to his own. Requires a severe loss of sleep. I like Q'd pork, but not enough to mop every 45 minutes

i seen a guy on tv mopping his briskit, and it really made me want to try it. And believe me I don't do ANYTHING. no foil, no mop, no peek, hell I dont even do a good job at throwin' the rub on, but that show made me want to try it.
Unless im reading incorrectly I think Shawn is saying that it IS noticable (appearantly for flavor reasons) and that tells me its worth a try, if it was me wandering, I would, if you want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think Shawn is saying that it IS noticable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ya, I'm saying mopping can make a difference

this isn't one of those debatable topics, really, it depends what you use ... one or two squirts of water likely no difference ... even one thin application of motor oil BIG difference, not being a 'smart guy', of course no one uses that but it illustrates the point

here is the Southern Sop Recipe from this site for those who don't know what I'm talking about

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Southern Sop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remaining Southern Succor Rub (Important: See text below)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons table salt
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
Warm ingredients over low heat, stirring occasionally.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been doing this whole BBQ thing for many years now. I have never mopped anything. Not saying it's right or wrong, I just don't see the need to mop.
icon_smile.gif

Why would you want to rub/rinse off the delicious bark?

I got a mop years ago, used it a few times for no apparent difference. Then the 2 year old found it. Now it's hers to play with!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">this isn't one of those debatable topics, really, it depends what you use ... one or two squirts of water likely no difference ... even one thin application of motor oil BIG difference, not being a 'smart guy', of course no one uses that but it illustrates the point </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shawn, the mop looks pretty much like a rub with some liquid. wouldn't an addition of powdered vinegar to your rub accomplish the same thing flavor wise?

I have noticed that over long cooks, rub flavors tend to fade. one thing about mops is that they might be a way to reintroduce those rub flavors back, late in the cook.

I've been know to shake some rub on my briskets towards the end of cook to re-establish the rub flavors. maybe mopping is similar in that regard.

as far a butts go. I just try to establish a nice smokey bark and rather than injections or mop, add most of the flavor with my sauce.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Been doing this whole BBQ thing for many years now. I have never mopped anything. Not saying it's right or wrong, I just don't see the need to mop.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree no need to mop (that's where we started) ... though I disagree about you saying you never mop anything:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S in the Roadside Chicken Recipe:
I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't see that technique being any different than basting/mopping butts buddy. 309 posts to date (mostly compliments) and a 5 check mark rating says to me there is something to be said for the technique, it's proof to me it just depends on what you use and how it's done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally Posted by Doug EP:
Why would you want to rub/rinse off the delicious bark?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>I guess this would apply more to early mopping? I've only mopped during the last few hours. With this Mr.Brown and the Southern Sop the bark is well establighed by the last few hours. I haven't noticed bark getting washed away (bark to me includes a thin layer of dried out meat ... don't see how it could wash away ?), when done as I'm talking about it improves the bark IMO not degrades it (besides, if you rest in foil afterwards bark softens anyways). One layer goes on (with more rub, sugar, vinegar and woos in it), it dries and firms up fairly quick. Another layer goes on and firms up fairly quick etc etc until the sop is gone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Shawn, the mop looks pretty much like a rub with some liquid. wouldn't an addition of powdered vinegar to your rub accomplish the same thing flavor wise?

I have noticed that over long cooks, rub flavors tend to fade. one thing about mops is that they might be a way to reintroduce those rub flavors back, late in the cook.

I've been know to shake some rub on my briskets towards the end of cook to re-establish the rub flavors. maybe mopping is similar in that regard.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know if powdered vinegar in the rub would accomplish the same thing, never tried it. I know what you mean about rub fading but wouldn't the vinegar powder be subject to this as well and fade?

Cider Vinegar and woos are much stronger liquids than water or apple juice, so in the flavor respect not all liquids are the same.

J your comments got me thinking about it and that final application is in my mind what makes the biggest difference. What I should try next time is just mix up that 'last bit of it' ... take the dry stuff and woos then top it up with enough vinegar to make a wet paste and paint it on an hour or so before I take it off the smoker. Maybe you are right, it's that final application of rub and vinegar and woos that I like so much.

I'm not crazy or imagining things, what I have stated about it makes a difference with the Mr.Brown recipe, my wife has even noticed ('wow, what did you do to the pork this time?'). I just didn't analyze the 'why' very much, about as much as those saying 'I tried it, it didn't work for me therefore it can't work for anybody in any case no matter what the ingrediants or how it's done
icon_smile.gif

This is a pic of Mr.Brown and Southern Sop after the final application I was talking about ... painting the thick almost paste like end of it on ... continue smoking until this wet coat dries.

I maintain mopping/basting can make a difference, y'all can take it or leave it, believe me or not. I've tried spraying with apple juice a couple times and thought it didn't do anything ... if you've used something that hasn't worked try something that does
icon_smile.gif

sweet! makes since w/ the chicken, I totally (again) agree w/ J. B. I've noticed certain rubs fade w/ a long smoke, although some worse then others. I think thats why its hard for me to make a rub.

A few years ago me and my BIL did a 75# porker on an outdoor pit (we try to do one every year), well that year I made a spicy peanut butter sauce for mopping, People went nuts for it, I had enough so that I could put it out on the tables for people to add more to there pork. I've never seen that kind of response before. I have the recipe kicking around so I'll post it. But I think, depending on the mop, that it adds a lot to the food.

I tend to go heavy on the rub for briskets,ribs and butts. Never quite saw the sense in rinsing the rub off or diluting it with a mop.Ocassionally I will glaze ribs and pork loin with Texas Pepper Jelly or BBQ sauce at the end, but it's usually a very light coat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">J your comments got me thinking about it and that final application is in my mind what makes the biggest difference. What I should try next time is just mix up that 'last bit of it' ... take the dry stuff and woos then top it up with enough vinegar to make a wet paste and paint it on an hour or so before I take it off the smoker. Maybe you are right, it's that final application of rub and vinegar and woos that I like so much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now you got ME thinking.
icon_biggrin.gif
I like it, lets call it a power bark enhancer, not wet like a mop, nor sugary like a glaze, and not exactly saucy either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I totally (again) agree w/ J. B. I've noticed certain rubs fade w/ a long smoke, although some worse then others. I think thats why its hard for me to make a rub.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not to give out all my secrets
icon_wink.gif
, but if you're into the high heat brisket thing, open up your foil when you're close to done and reapply your rub to the wet, soggy exterior. along with the dry heat, it'll help to dry it out some, re-establishing the bark, and brings back all the muted spices. leave the foil around the bottom and it'll continue braise in it's own juices.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">lets call it a power bark enhancer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>sounds a lot better than 'liquid butt rub'
icon_biggrin.gif

Back