To clean or not to clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was wondering how many people clean their grates with just a wire brush and nothing else. I'm inclined to just use a wire brush but don't want to do something stupid.

Joel S.

ps: How do you use the message icons

There is wide divergence on how folks clean their grates. I used to wash mine in soapy water and a brillo pad to get all the smoke stain and crud off. My grates were shiny clean, like new, after every cook. It took me about 20 minutes per grate. I don't do that anymore.

Fed up with the hassle, I followed the advice from others on this site and just burn the chunks off either by setting my grates on the charcoal ring after the cook for 10 - 15 minutes then scraping with wire brush or, if there isn't enough energy left for a good burn off, I put them on my gas grill on high for 10 - 15 minutes and do the same thing.

Joel

Before I start a smoke I spray the cooking grates with a cooking spray,ie:pam,or the stuff I get at BJ's.

After I'am through I wipe the grates off with a Scotch-Brite pad which will take off any caked on stuff.Doing this for years and it works for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Norm /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Joel,

I spray mine with Greased Lightning, let them soak for a few hours then wash them under hot water with a scotch brite pad or a grill brush.

Doesn't get all the smoke stain off, but it removes any particles from your last cook.

I better chime in for the non-cleaning crowd!

I only brush and even then only once in a while. I have burned them in the gasser with good results, but this is only done before a cooking contest.

Be careful on the burning in the gasser...I thought a few folks had some bad results? Hopefully they will come forward.

Another trick, place them in the grass overnight and then brush. The dew helps to soak the crust right off.

I don't clean mine too terribly much unless it's going to a contest. I have started using sand and foil over the pan to make that job easier. Otherwise I put the grates over hot coals and scrub with a ball of aluminum foil. Going to a contest gets a bit more labor intensive. Don't want anyone to see it and think I'm a slob. But then again they probably get that impression with the grease stains on the front of my shirt. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back