To ATC or Not That is the question

G.Siek

This is Just a little follow up to my new experiences with a bbqguru digiqII atc controller.
Here is a non technical and very short term review of my experiences with an ATC

After four days and six smokes from two shoulders to six small(14" rainbow) trout to 3-4 lb salmon fillets a 3 lb fresh steel head fillet and a 13 lb turkey. temps from 125-300 I can say that for those who are wondering if the money has been well spent on an item that costs as much as the smoker itself I can say that for my situation it is priceless. i had good turnouts for the food being made on the wsm without a control but the freedom from having to check the temp or make an adjustment through out a smoke is something that is well worth the expense. i use a minion start 15-20 lumps/briquettes dump on 1 chimney to heaping ring on the grate. and the controller is up to temp in the 225 range in 1-1 1/2 hours outside temp has been between 22-40 degrees. tried more coals on the start controller just seems to choke it down longer and ease it back up to temp to keep overshoots to a min. Seems consistent enough so far in times to temp that I light smoker and then start prep and things are ready at same time. it seems there is plenty of argument of the use of these thing and i can say if you live a busy lifestyle and dont always have time to kick back and watch the smoke ( I have 3 kids 3,4,12)this tool can help you enjoy some good meals without much hassle. even my wife has a loin on right now lit it up this morn. and left it to smoke. She would never really mess with the smoker before. Too much work she said. i have had some gas some charcoal( brinkman Prior) And i can she uses it like a crock pot. Selling point for the ATC Wife friendly. Just thought i would put a little post as to my experiences with this very new to me item thanks for a great forum and hope this helps someone decide on if this may be right for them.

I second your comments. I bought an Auber ATC and I smoke far more often than I would have if I didn't have an ATC because I don't have time to hang around the smoker all the time. Even with something short cooking - ribs - I use the Auber and I can go run errands or whatever.

I too use the MM and get the grill to cooking temp , then close all the vents and start the the Auber. I put on the meat and let the Auber control the temp. I have done overnight cooks with rock-solid temp control.

For only $140 you can get an Auber and use it when you want. Seems like a great investment for any BBQ cook, even a backyard guy/gal.

I'll take the other view - with a little practice you can run your WSM solid at any temp between 150 and 325F. And once you get a feel for the dynamics of your cooker, there's no need to tend to it. I generally check it every 4 hours at most on a long cook, and am comfortable walking away from it for 8+ hours if I need to, say, go to work, or go to sleep.

Benefits of using temp control go way beyond the basics of maintaining the fire temp. At least in the case of Stoker, you also get the following:

1. Ability to keep the food warm once it reaches temp. You never know if your pork butt gets ready at 6:00am when you thought it would be 9:00am!

2. Ability to share the results of your smoke with others, seeking advice or showing how it is done.

3. Learning how the food temp rises and what it did overnight. Here is an example:

749661303_WYsq5-XL.png

4. Automatic temperature changes.

I use mine all of the time because I have one. I originally bought it for overnight cooks and if I was not going to be home most of the day just to get rid of a lot of what if factors and peace of mind. Are they necessary, no... are they nice to have, you bet!

My simple input, which will be mirrored by many here, is that you don't wait until you get to temp before starting your ATC. It's meant to bring your heat up to temp and maintain from start of lit. Set your kit up, light a few coals, start the ATC and add meat and let it do what you paid for. Just to further simplify:

1) Set up your smoker, fuel in the ring, wood that you need.
2) Light your lit fuel, chimney is my method, but don't overdo it.
3) Place the lit evenly over the unlit.
4) Assemble the smoker with the ATC running and meat in place.
5) Let the ATC do what you bought it for.

Many over complicate this part. The ATC will get you to temp and keep you there. Don't play with the vents, top or bottom. Just let it go. If that doesn't work, you have other problems.

Again, the ATC will get you to temp and keep you there. The biggest problem is USER error.

I have a stoker ordered because of the charting options. I like the technical side of things and this is no exception . My neighbor smokes about four days a week as well and couldn't be bothered with any high tech device which includes the smokey mountain smoker. He considers it a mass produced unnecessary exspensive smoker. he has a 55 gal drum he has been smoking in for the fifteen years Ive known him. Does it work? yes is it as efficient at burning? No. it does need to be tended so i guess when you look at the spectrum from where he likes to be and then the people who would never be without a Stoker there is alot of room in between. and from what i can see he doesn't enjoy smoking meat anymore than i do so i guess we all win. Hey i dont need cruise control in my car but rarely drive without it just something that makes the process easier and thats why I like these products. i dont use them all the time matter of fact we did a shoulder last night and never turned it on we went old school. made a few adjustments (Not many) but we were up most of the night anyway. couldnt taste a difference in the meat.

Back