Tips on custom kettle/wsm table enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich P

TVWBB Member
Hey all. After looking at getting a performer for the table space I have decided to call in reinforcements to build the ultimate custom built kettle and wsm table/enclosure. My brother is an incredibly skilled woodworker and said this would be a snap. We are going to build a table/enclosure that will hold my 22 OTG and 18 WSM. It will completely surround them with removable parts for service/cleaning. We will think out long and hard how to do this so that the vent access etc is easily obtained. We will be doing a concrete polished surface for food prep etc(thin and light weight), highly polished to a glass like finish. Somehow we will add a place for tools and therms. I'm not sure if I will add a small SS sink or not at this point. Those of you that may have some experience what are some things maybe I should focus on that I might not put any thought into? That I might miss that will be important. I don't want to go through all this and forget something silly afterward s. I will also have a charcoal holder and smoke wood holder. We were thinking of putting small motorcycle air filled tires on it for moving around and so forth. This should be really sweet and one heck of a custom job. Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich P:
Any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just one, can you please document this build with pics and post them. We're getting ready to move and I want to do something similar at the new place.

can you build me one too for my OTG?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich P:
Any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just one, can you please document this build with pics and post them. We're getting ready to move and I want to do something similar at the new place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem I planned on doing that anyway for anyone that may like the design to use for there own build!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig hess:
can you build me one too for my OTG?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will think about that =)

Here's my OTG table which I built using treated timber, cement board, some broken marble tiles, and dry stacked bricks.

P1030647.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George L:
Here's my OTG table which I built using treated timber, cement board, some broken marble tiles, and dry stacked bricks.

P1030647.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George that looks pretty sweet!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
If your looking for some design ideas. "The Naked Whiz" site has a gallery of BGE owners custom tables.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mac there are some sweet setups in there!

No offense to George L's very nice timber framed table. But I would pick either Cedar or Redwood as a wood of choice over Wolmanized lumber.
JMO
icon_wink.gif

Tim

...after seeing some of these set-ups you guys have... I'm feeling pretty insufficient.
Please don't show your photos to my babe... I really don't need another one leaving....

Phil,

My design, and my build. It is nice to know it has inspired someone! It is framed with galvanized studs that were pop-riveted together, sided with concrete board and finished in stucco and tile. The entire build was around $800.

Rich,

My biggest gripe with my build is cleaning the grout between the tile on the counter top. Should I build another I will do it in marble tiles with no spacing. I like your idea of polished concrete. The WSM sits on an aluminum lazy Suzan. I recommend this if you do not have your wsm set up on a draft system. The other change in design I would make is cooker access. I have the back open. This is the easiest access to the sweep system of the kettle, but I would investigate the possibility of side access. Make sure you give your cookers a little airspace to minimize the effect of radiant heat. Unless I do a long cook with the kettle the radiant heat is negligible. You need a bottle opener and a paper towel rack. If you have the room a fridge or storage is always nice.

Good luck!

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
Phil,

My design, and my build. It is nice to know it has inspired someone! It is framed with galvanized studs that were pop-riveted together, sided with concrete board and finished in stucco and tile. The entire build was around $800.

Rich,

My biggest gripe with my build is cleaning the grout between the tile on the counter top. Should I build another I will do it in marble tiles with no spacing. I like your idea of polished concrete. The WSM sits on an aluminum lazy Suzan. I recommend this if you do not have your wsm set up on a draft system. The other change in design I would make is cooker access. I have the back open. This is the easiest access to the sweep system of the kettle, but I would investigate the possibility of side access. Make sure you give your cookers a little airspace to minimize the effect of radiant heat. Unless I do a long cook with the kettle the radiant heat is negligible. You need a bottle opener and a paper towel rack. If you have the room a fridge or storage is always nice.

Good luck!

Gary </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent input and thank you! I like the idea of a mini fridge which I do happen to have a small stainless one laying around. And yes one thing that I want make certain of is that there is MORE THAN adequate access to all the equipment! Thanks for the suggestions!

I have looked around a little bit and haven't seen anyone include a high output burner built into the table. I know that you can buy wok burners that would drop in but they are big bucks (for me anyway) It doesn't seem that it would be that hard to do it yourself. I found a 100K btu NG burner through a resaurant supply store for less than 30 bucks. What is the other neccessary equipment that you would need. A knob would be nice i guess but a more simple valve would suffice. I want to build a table that holds the kettle on one side with a burner on the other that I could use for stir fry or deep frying wings etc. I have NG on the patio already so that is what I would like to fire the burner with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George L:

P1030647.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i really like this setup. Can you tell us what size lumber you used? What size are those post?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeW:

i really like this setup. Can you tell us what size lumber you used? What size are those post? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. I used 4x4 posts and 4x6 timber.

Here's the original build thread from a a few months back:
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...9023/m/662105871/p/1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back