Tips on cleaning old Smokey Joe?

Yong

TVWBB Member
I got an old Smokey Joe silver from a friend (has a wooden handle). But it's pretty dirty. I'm thinking it a mix of dirt and food bits caked on the outside. Any tips on getting this thing looking like new?

I'd hose it off first then get a pail of hot water & Dawn dish soap with a non-scratch scouring pad and have at it... Should look like new in know time.

What James said is pretty spot on. I use a degreaser (sold at Home Depot or auto parts store) along with a Scotchbrite pad for most of the dirty work. You'll be surprised how well these clean up to a like-new shine. Once I'm done scrubbing and it's dry, use 0000 steel wool on the outside for a final polishing/cleaning, including the lid vent, and you'll be :D

I take mine apart when I get used ones that are dirty. I spray them body parts with oven cleaner. don't use the cheap stuff cuz they don't work well. then use a stainless steel scrubber to get the stuff off. if you still have some hard stuff left then you may have to take a single sided razor blade to it. replace all hardware with ss stuff. I treat everything with pam spray. put it together and cook !

Back