Tips for short ribs?

Neil

Smoker going head to head with short ribs tomorrow! Any tips on temp, time or internal temperature?

Also purchased a nice looking brisket flat @ Stew Leonards. Planning on a Monday high heat cook.

Neil,

I've done short ribs in the WSM before. I could swear I posted about it but can't find the post. Anyway, the results weren't very good. I've had *much* better results from moist cooking methods like braising. Then again, I may have over/under cooked them in the WSM...or maybe I had poor quality short ribs...dunno. But after that first experience I stick with braising them. Try smoking them and let us know how they turn out for you.

Thanks for the quick replies!

About three months ago I had some GREAT smoked short ribs from a local joint. They were the special of the day. I purchased these ribs on the cheap (2.50/lb) so I think its worth a short.

I love braised shorts myself. In fact I have a wonderful 3 day recipe for wine braised short ribs from one of my favorite steakhouses. Let me know if anyone is interested in the recipe. My family told me it was one the best pieces of meat they have ever tasted.

Note that you can smoke the short ribs for a while first, then wrap in foil with the aromatics, herbs, spices, vegs, and/or liquid(s) of your choice and finish the cook as a braise. You can brown the meat first, before smoking, if you wish. You can, instead, use a foil pan, covered, or a WSM-safe dutch oven rather than the foil for the braising phase.

I WILL be doing beef ribs on the smoker, just a matter of when. Interested in how you make out.

I plan to get some beef ribs cut custom for me next time a buy a standing rib roast. I will ask the butcher to cut out the eye and leave about 1/2" of meet on the ribs. Cut up the eye roast into steaks and vac pack for future use as in the second url.

Here's the ideas I've looked at, don't know if they will help you or not.

http://www.thesmokering.com/BeefRibs/default.jsp

http://www.thesmokering.com/RibRoast/default.jsp

I love Emerils recipe for braised beef ribs, and am going to give that a try as a braised rib recipe. Had this in his restaurant in NOLA and haven't been the same since:

http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_name/braised_pork_ribs_and_andouille.html

Smoke the short ribs for a few hours, then wrap them in foil. I would put some braising liquid inside the foil along with some aromatics. Saute some shallots or onions in olive oil, add 1-2 chopped carrots and 1-2 celery stalks chopped. Saute a few minutes longer. Then add a cup or 2 red wine, 4 cups veal stock, or beef stock works just find. Bring this to a simmer and pour it on top of short ribs. Wrap up the foil nice and tight. At this point you can put them right back on the smoker or put them in the oven to finish them off. In the oven you could crank the heat to 300-325.

beef ribs cooked right to me are one of my favorite foods. we cook them all the time and have good luck cooking them low & slow. If you cook them fast, they get tough. Wolfe rub bold is really good with beef ribs.

On edit: I always cook big ribs on the smoker. Not short ribs.

I saw your post about short ribs yesterday but
couldn't post a reply until today. I've done short ribs as bbq in the past. I sprinkle meat
tenderizer on all sides and then apply a beef
rub and cover them with plastic wrap and put
them in the fridge for 3-4 hrs. Cook at 240-250
for 3hrs(internal temp should be 160-180) then
finish on a hot grill. My family loves them.
My father uses a wet marinade for his short ribs and cooks on a low grill about 40-50 minutes. These are excellent also.
I'll post his marinade recipe when I have more time

Not necessarily. See Chris's description of his rib cook. For short ribs though, imo, braising or braising-to-finish yields excellent results and allows for some complex flavors, if desired (I often do). What method I choose--low/slow-to finish, low/slow with a braise finish, grilled direct--depends on what I'm cooking. All short ribs are not the same. I usually always do a finishing braise (if I haven't entirely braised) on short ribs cut from the plate. Short ribs from the chuck I might do that way or simply low/slow, as I do hand-cut back ribs (I never buy then retail as they are too trimmed). Ribs cut Korean-style I do direct.

After all was said and done...I think they came out pretty good! 5.5 hours at around 240-255 degrees. They could have been a little softer and moist, but they were still delicious.

As always, see here for pics. How did mine stack up to your versions?

Neil,

Great shots. What was the texture like? For short ribs, I like absolute "falling off the bone". Don't want any pull at all with them. Let me know how yours turned out...I may try them again in the WSM.

P.S. Loved the shot of the bacon..."Eat more pork, be a better lover"
icon_biggrin.gif

Phil,

Texture was like a nice, super tender steak. Falling off the bone they were not. If that's your thing then I recommend some of the foiling options suggested above.

The bacon slogan is great and quite possibly true!

Back