TIP: Use a smoke log to record your info!

Martin S

TVWBB Member
I have finally started using a smoke log when I smoke stuff, and I can't tell you how sorry I was for not doing this right away. I record:
Ambient conditions
Amount of charcoal
The meats being smoked
The smoker temperature
The meat temperature
The quality and look of the meat during the cooking process
Time

Doing so will give you a reference to fall back on when you're trying to figure out how long you can expect to cook a certain piece of meat, and what the results were in case you need to make corrections.

I highly recommend everyone to keep a log of some kind in case you're not already doing so!

I've thought about doing that for some time too. There have been times when I've had a "near" perfect cook. When trying to recreate, it, I may have forgotten a detail here or there. Also in the "HEAT" of the cook, one may loose perspective until the folks eating it, clean their plates and tell you how good it was. It leaves me asking...What did I do different?
icon_biggrin.gif

Great idea and thanks for posting it.

The smoking log definitely helps me out for the reasons mentioned above (time factors, repeatability). When starting out, I would record everything above at 30 minute intervals. Now, while I still record the info (including vent positions) I leave it more to general note taking and event based items rather than set intervals.

Well i should...i Can...But i still dont. Would help me in those...WHAT? moments. I go by my inner sense,Often a good way...But some times i fail really bad.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Log for the win!

I go with event based log as well
Record temp, weather, meat weight, source rub glazes etc.

When I am getting ready for the next cook and look back at my log for say the great turkey I did etc The most helpful notes I find are the amount and type of fuel I started with and the notes on how it came out and "lessons learned" for next time. It helps to write down your "no Duh" comments after the cook even if they seem obvious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim H.:
Here's a pre-made cooking log in PDF & Excel formats that can keep up with your cooking data.

Cooking Log </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too Cool! Thanks for that link Jim!

Since I use a Mac, the published Excel version had some formatting issues. I figured that I would just redo the whole thing in GoogleDocs.

I avoid printing anything (if possible) and love "cloud computer" so I figured that it works well. I am not a GoogleDocs pro so the only way I know to keep the template while having a new doc for each cook is to make a copy from the file menu.

Anyway, here is the link.

Printable spreadsheet

I created a simple spreadsheet to record temperatures, vent positions, and notes over time. I usually keep it on a clipboard next to my thermometer receiver so that I can keep a record. I usually keep track of the meat, seasonings, results, etc on a separate sheet.

If anyone is familiar with LaTeX and would like to make edits, the source is available.

Back