Throwdown #3 - Poultry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can't wait to try this, Gary. I bought the ingredients today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm flattered Geir. Don't forget to season the chicken properly. The chicken/ham/lobster is a bit bland, so be sure to make a tasty sauce to go with it. My roasted red pepper coulis had some sriracha in it to pep it up.
Thanks all for the kind comments.
icon_smile.gif

Thank you for the tip. I will substitute the ham with my panchetta, sliced very thin and use that instead. Look out for my "copycat"- thread on photos
icon_smile.gif

Here's a quick one for kicks.....

Smoked turkey on the wsm

mardigras1.jpg

Once smoked I seperated the breast and cut it into thirds, and cooled. Then braised it with a home made mole sauce until almost done. And finaly put on direct heat with more mole and sesame seeds, and placed on Mexican style rice (fried rice and onions, with tomatoes, zuch, black beans, garlic, peppers, and stock)

cynmole.jpg

Clark

Aiming for 5th place with this

I cook a chicken every week for dinner, and make chicken salad with the leftovers to feed us lunch for a couple days. This has given me an opportunity to try something new with the flavoring each week.

I have been enjoying a basic buttermilk brine on the chicken lately. This week included some ingredients I would use in a normal rub. My goal is to smoke chicken sans rub, but it taste like it is there. I don’t care for the rub just sitting on the chicken skin. I want the flavor throughout the meat and nice roasted skin. (Thank you Kevin for some guidance on this)

For this brine I used 1 quart of buttermilk and for the brine/rub ingredients kosher salt, turbo, ancho, granulated garlic & onion, and peppercorns in a little bit of water to get everything dissolved (Thanks Ray for that idea). I didn’t really measure the ingredients except the salt, but I will next time. This came out great and I want to slowly tweak it to perfection.

1/2 chickens after a 36 hours brine, rinsed off

IMAG0404.jpg

I let the chicken air dry in the refrigerator for about 8 hours

IMAG0405.jpg

I used a 50/50 mix of peach & pecan woods at 325-350°

IMAG0406.jpg

Finished up

IMAG0411.jpg

When taking the pictures I really wasn’t planning on posting, wish I had taken a little more time.

Beautiful Josh. The skin on that chicken looks like Peking Duck. Beautiful color and I'm sure the taste was terrific.

Chicken looks great Josh. I'm anxious to give buttermilk brining a try myself. I just have to decide what flavors I want to add to it. Yours sounds really tasty.

It seems like it took a few tries, but it seems like we have a viable throwdown here. Each one keeps getting better.

Thank you everyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell McNeely:
Chicken looks great Josh. I'm anxious to give buttermilk brining a try myself. I just have to decide what flavors I want to add to it. Yours sounds really tasty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russell, do it! Air drying the skin for 8 hours is key though, make sure to include time for that.

J, I have been swamped lately and having been grabbing the camera. These were taken with my phone, but I will make sure to get out the camera on the next one.

If you already voted in the poll, please vote again. One of the competitors was inadvertently omitted from the original poll.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

I wasn't going to say anything, I didn't mind. We all knew who was going to run away with this one. But I just checked and I did get 1 vote, so thanks!

Back