Throwdown #2: Potatoes

I love it!
Even I can make that
icon_wink.gif

Submitted for your consideration...
I went with an entire meal concept; starter, entre and dessert.

For starter; Potato (Yukon Gold), cabbage and leek soup topped with lemon crema (fresh lemon juice and sour cream) and fried potato stick garnish and lime zest.

soupprep.jpg

On to the entre. Grilled salmon with Yellow Caribe Chile sauce ( Yellow Caribe chile, rice vinegar, olive oil, sugar and salt) and parsley on a nest of white potatoes. Peruvian Purple Potatoes with Asadero Sauce (Asadero cheese, milk, garlic, Caribe Chile sauce, salt) sprinkled with Aleppo pepper. Spinach salad tossed with crispy Fingerling potato rounds, bacon, shallots and balsamic vinaigrette.

entreprep.jpg

saladprep.jpg

And for dessert a Potato (Yukon Gold) Soufflé flavored with dark chocolate and espresso coffee.

souffleprep.jpg

The bourbon is in the pic as I made a very nice (according to my wife
icon_wink.gif
) caramel-bourbon sauce. It just didn't get drizzled onto the dessert...
icon_rolleyes.gif

And the completed meal...

meal.jpg

The salmon nest actually is a single unit although it doesn't show up that way in the pic. I used 2 strainers to mold the potato as it went into the hot oil. Timing on my souffle was off as you can see but had good flavor. Hey, potato desserts are tough! (and I didn't want to go with sweet potatoes as I don't consider them true potatoes.)

Paul

Oh, well. I thought I'd join this one.
So far, I can still be number four on the list.
I have done a test- run this weekend. Will adjust my cook and post next sunday.

Okie dokie, here we go....

6734425147_3060c533bf.jpg

6734422035_5da8186401.jpg

6734420057_394d17749b.jpg

6734423629_09ff664633.jpg

6734420831_46bf59ee53.jpg

Grilled potato wedges, so simple, but oh so good. I gave this one a lot of thought, crab stuffed mashed potatoes some how finished on a grill, grilled potato napoleons topped with a vinaigrette.... But in the end I settled with grilled wedges.

When I think potatoes- I think fries, most do I'm sure, so I wanted to make something that strikes at the heart of what most people think of when they think of potatoes, also I wanted to make something that was cooked 100% on the grill. Cut, EVOO, S&P, then fresh chopped parsley after they come off the grill. The sheen you see on them is the melted butter I brushed over them before the parsley was added. I won't get points for creativity, but I was trying to win points for staying true to the potato and how I feel about them.
icon_smile.gif
Good luck to all entrants, this was really fun!

Rosemary Chicken and Ruby Potato Pizza on Potato Bread Pizza Dough

Potato Bread Pizza Dough: All-purpose flour, yeast, sugar, salt, mashed potatoes, butter, potato water and egg.

IMG_5952.jpg

Chicken marinated in garlic, soy sauce, kosher salt and olive oil...then grilled, direct to get some marks and moved indirect to finish.

Ruby potatoes coated with garlic, oregano, rosemary, white pepper, kosher salt and olive oil...then baked on the kettle, indirect, until lightly browned.

IMG_5962.jpg

Assembled and on the stone. The potato bread pizza dough topped with a kettle cooked garlic-thyme-shallot-chardonnay-butter-lemon sauce, mozzarella cheese, grilled chicken and rosemary ruby potatoes.

IMG_5965.jpg

Off and garnished with chopped parsley.

IMG_5968.jpg

Plated.

IMG_5973.jpg

Thank you all for looking and good luck to all the competitors!

Child’s play, drilled potatoes a la AEG, with mature cheddar and bacon
It is almost impossible to come up with something new on this forum. There are so many creative and talented cooks gathered, that I have next to nothing to contribute. Usually I just sit back and gaze, and wonder how you came up with your ideas.
Now, I can’t remember that I have seen a dish that is supposed to be visually attractive to children lately, so I have tried to use a dish ment for children as a theme for this Iron Chef event. That does not mean that my drilled potato cannot be used with other meats or vegetables.
Click on pictures for large, as usual.
Enough blabbering, moving along:

My daughter gave me the animal molds for Christmas. She had no idea how much I liked them.
I have used them for eggs before, and wanted to try them on something else.
Potatoes, large, mini sausages, cheddar, butter, bacon and meat balls made from something that is not too far away from your breakfast sausages. I filled the molds and simmered the balls for about fifteen minutes inside the molds.
The drill and the wood- charring pen will be used in the next picture

Now, the meat balls look quite boring, so I found my charring pen, really made for decorating wood and charred the meat balls to make the eyes, nose and so on become more prominent.
First I dressed the potatoes into rectangles, then I took a 10 mm drill bit, and made 8 holes in the potatoes. The strange contraption behind the potatoes is a Norwegian cheese slicer, ment for slicing paper thin slices of our brown cheese. It is also useful if you want to make a rectangle shaped potato.
My first plan was to stuff these holes with the small sausages, baby corn and asparagus, protruding so it would look like some kind of firework battery, but I changed the plan when I discovered how nice they looked without the vegetables.
Potatoes cooked in the microwave for 4 minutes. Then I dripped melted butter into the holes, and placed the potatoes on the grill for 30 minutes, indirect. Took them off, filled the holes with sticks of mature cheddar, and wrapped the cubes with a single layer of bacon. Back on the grill for 25 more minutes.

Sorry, no potato picture on the grill, but here are the vegetables and meat balls simmering

Plated. Since this is a competition, I won’t make any more comments on the meal, and how it tasted, but I really hope you like it, as I have done with the other posts. May the best potato win!

Outstanding spuds everyone!
Simple, Fancy, Creative
they all have been represented, and they all look delicious!

Geir,
2 extra points for using a power drill
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well Done ppl! Some really cool dishes in this thread. And thats what it´s all about...
...Geir,
2 extra points for using a power drill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haha. As noted, some great tater work going on here. I remember an episode of Iron Chef when potatoes were the secret ingredient. The first thing Jeffrey Steingarten says is, "Whoever makes french fries wins." Priceless.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What happens now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jon, sets up a poll and we vote. winner gets to set up the next throwdown.

Its prolly not the right place for this. But, does anyone else always read jon's name as "jaundice" ? Ha! I'm sorry but I know this bored is full of yall play on words folks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What happens now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jon, sets up a poll and we vote. winner gets to set up the next throwdown. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear that, because I really didn't want any parts of picking a winner by myself. Great entries everyone!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaz S:
Its prolly not the right place for this. But, does anyone else always read jon's name as "jaundice" ? Ha! I'm sorry but I know this bored is full of yall play on words folks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My e-mail address is jondes99, and you're actually not the first person to point this out to me. It's still better than spelling out my whole last name!

I don't want to call the race prematurely, but it might be time to move on to the next throwdown.

Congratulations to Bill W and his really innovative potato dish. I'm totally inspired and have already devised a way to make it even better, if that's even possible
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill, your reward is to think up a new throwdown ingredient and get the thread started.

Back