Three firsts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul McBride

TVWBB Member
OK, up since 5 (on a weekend, no less), and am off and running with three firsts:

1) First Boston Butt: after I got it rubbed last night (Mr. Brown), man did it look great;

2) First Minion method: so far, so good. It's 7:45, the temp seems to be holding steady at 245*. Thanks, Jim!

3) First time sand instead of water: Again, temp control no problem so far.

At around 11:00, four rack of baby backs are going on too.

One quick question, tho: When using sand, given that there will be some head radiating off the foil on the water pan, should I shoot for a lower overall temp? The butt is on the bottom rack (in anticipation of those ribs going on in 3 or 4 hours), and I don't want to over-do my butt because of the aluminum foil.

Paul
If you have the pit temp controled on the way up you should be fine. May want to turn the butt over at 5 or 6 hours mark so one side doesn't take the radaint heat for the full cook.
At 5am PST I put on a beef bottom round and later will do some chicken hind quarters. It's the grandson's birthday, great kid, wish I had it together as well as he does at his age.
Good cooking!
Jim

I'm with you guys. Got a brisket that went on at 11:30 last night with Minion method and sand in the pan. Checked the temp at 7:30 this morning and it was exactly the same and there were still some coals that hadn't even caught yet (overnight temp was around 20 degrees). So, I threw on one more chunk of wood and I'm going to let it roll till 12:30 and I should be able to get a 13hr burn on this cold winter day without a problem. I haven't added fuel or adjusted the vents. I'm absolutely shocked and in love with this WSM. The most incredible feat that I've seen since the US landed on the moon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb]It's the grandson's birthday, great kid, wish I had it together as well as he does at his age.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have a great day, Jim. Days like today are the stuff of life!

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back