Thoughts on this used Weber Genesis?

GarrettB

TVWBB Member
Some of you may have seen my previous post looking to buy a new Weber; either Spirit or Genesis. Based on some of your suggestions I found a used Genesis for $150 that I'm told is 12 years old. Owner says the rear burner is inoperative. Attached are two pictures.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 8B83D0A0-41F7-4194-8D29-3D8DC839002A.jpeg
    8B83D0A0-41F7-4194-8D29-3D8DC839002A.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 31
  • A0F22FCB-ECC6-4525-9DBA-9965B78052AD.jpeg
    A0F22FCB-ECC6-4525-9DBA-9965B78052AD.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 31
What's the base behind the doors look like. Otherwise looks clean just a little TLC needed. Looks like a good user to me. I would offer a 120 and see what he says.

Most likely just a broken Xover burner tube. Honestly a good cleaning, maybe new burner tubes and you're off to the races. The bigger thing is how badly is the cabinet rusted?

How hard is it to fix the back burner that he says is not working? I've never worked on fixing a BBQ before.
It's not difficult. Burner tubes are easily (and cheaply) replaced. Many manifold malfunctions can be cured with a simple cleaning of the valves. Chris has a great video on valve cleaning on the Virtual Weber Gas Grill and the Virtual Weber Bullet youtube channel.

Before:
Grill9a.jpg
After:
IMG_3186.jpg

Before:
IMG_3112.JPG
After:
IMG_3136.JPG

Full disclosure: I had the firebox sandblasted. Everything else I did myself and it was my first restore.

That looks like a pretty good deal, assuming inside the cabinet isn't rusted out. Replacing innards is far easier than it sounds. Lot's of great help here and good videos on YouTube. Chris has some great videos on deep cleaning over on the Virtual Weber Gas Grill.

The set of all the burner tubes is only ~35 US. So if that is the only part you need you are in great shape. Never bought a grill they would not come down at least $25.

That looks like a pretty good deal, assuming inside the cabinet isn't rusted out. Replacing innards is far easier than it sounds. Lot's of great help here and good videos on YouTube. Chris has some great videos on deep cleaning over on the Virtual Weber Gas Grill.
Here's what he said re. rust: the bottom of the cabinet interior has some rust, adjacent to slot where the propane tank sits.

As long as it is not structural. You can treat it, (sand, anti-rust stuff, paint) and keep it at bay.. Another place to check would be the inside of the lid. I remember that being an potential issue on the stainless steel (vs porcelain) lids.

Last edited:
Some of you may have seen my previous post looking to buy a new Weber; either Spirit or Genesis. Based on some of your suggestions I found a used Genesis for $150 that I'm told is 12 years old. Owner says the rear burner is inoperative. Attached are two pictures.

What do you think?
Hi Garrett, For that model, Check the manifold arms where they connect to the firebox. Make sure they are well connected and are not rotted. Surface rust is OK. The arms are long and "upside down" which subjects them to stress.

As others said check the cabinet for rot and rust as the cabinet is not easy to repair.

Garrett:
As other have stated most repairs are pretty simple. Rust is not. If this grill is a 2008 than the manifold will have wings on it that sit in slots on the right side frame. If it is a 2007, it won't have the wings, but a crossmember under the manifold. To change out the burner tubes, you have to remove the manifold from the firebox (2 bolts) and move it back after removing the valve knobs and trim piece over it (1 screw in back + 2 friction points on the front). Tubes will pull right out. Don't mess with the screws on the left side of the firebox where the tubes end. The burner tubes slide under them. Again, rust is the key. Check carefully around the bottoms of the left&right frame where the casters slide in. Also any place the bottom panel bolts to the sides and rear. I'd offer him $120 just to see if he bites and go up from there. On the plus side, it has the stainless steel grates and a side burner. Also it has e-w burners so you can add a rotisserie unlike the new n-s burner models. See if he will fire it all up for you except the one burner he says doesn't work.

Last edited:

Back