Thoughts on this Summit for a refurb (to keep)?

GWaye

TVWBB Member
I currently have a 2007 Genesis that is going like a champ and looks brand new, BUT.....

Have a buddy whose Dad is getting rid of this Summit: Think I can get it for around $300. What say all you expert flippers/refurb guys that really know your stuff. Is this worth the effort?

1610115116098.png

Be aware of the front of the firebox rustout issues. Those models (as are all Summits) are rust buckets. If your friend's dad is original owner maybe he can get Weber to send out new parts for you. Otherwise it could be a $300 rabbit hole.

How's the inside of the cart? As LM (and many others) said those are rust buckets and that's where it usually starts.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm not sure how the inside of the cart looks - I'll try to get pics of those and refer to the brain trust here. This is precisely why I came here first before collecting another project for my wife to live through...

Gwayne: The key part to check out is the porcelain covered panel where the burners come through into the front of the cook box. That panel tends to invite a bunch of rust and corrosion. Also, the place in the top front of the cook box where the cooking grates rest tends to have problems as well.
Then as noted above, unless the entire cabinet is stainless steel, which I don't think it is on that grill, you might find a huge pile of red cancer in there as well.

I don't like those grills at all and have wound up abandoning restoration of not one, but TWO of them. They ended up in our maintenance department's scrap pile.

Summit JUNK with logo.jpegThat said, I at least like the black hood and doors which looks a lot nicer - to me - than the bland, also-ran, all-stainless look.

I agree with the others:
  • Make sure the front of the firebox is sound. If not, get your friend's father to register it and get new parts. If that isn't doable stop right there.
  • Have a good look at the inside of the cabinetry. The way those doors are hanging doesn't bode well. Once again, if a lot of rust RUN! I doubt Weber would replace all of that. I wouldn't touch it if cabinet is all rusty, unless they will give you the replacement parts.
Last comment. These are, in my mind anyway, bloated, heavy grills with too many gizmos. Two classic Genesis grills will give you MORE grilling space with way better and simpler, solid construction. Unless you really feel the need to be the captain of the Enterprise, I would be very leery!

I currently have a 2007 Genesis that is going like a champ and looks brand new, BUT.....

Have a buddy whose Dad is getting rid of this Summit: Think I can get it for around $300. What say all you expert flippers/refurb guys that really know your stuff. Is this worth the effort?

View attachment 20813
I bought one new in 2008. It is almost as good as new, but I do keep it covered when not in use. The smoker works surprisingly well - not as good as my WSM, but good. Those doors can be adjusted.

Thanks for all the help. Inside was a bit rusted so I asked if it was ever registered. Nope. Said I appreciated the offer, but didn't have room on my deck for this one.

Based on the comments from the pros that is probably a good idea.

Question for you guys that know these grills: What is it about that model that makes it so rusty and not worth a rebuild? From all the comments I get the impression that the Summits are not as high quality as a same generation Genesis for example. This doesn't make much sense to me since they cost so much. Is it just certain spots that always catch water and grease or did Weber just not build them as well or something?

Based on the comments from the pros that is probably a good idea.

Question for you guys that know these grills: What is it about that model that makes it so rusty and not worth a rebuild? From all the comments I get the impression that the Summits are not as high quality as a same generation Genesis for example. This doesn't make much sense to me since they cost so much. Is it just certain spots that always catch water and grease or did Weber just not build them as well or something?
Weber used cheap, thin steel for the cabinet and didn't think about their customers. Profit over people I guess which is really a shame.

Weber used cheap, thin steel for the cabinet and didn't think about their customers. Profit over people I guess which is really a shame.
I agree that this is really sad, Sam. I think it is especially so when you consider that for the two years preceding the current 3rd generation Summit's appearance it was a different story. As you know, but maybe not everyone here does, the last two years of the 2nd generation Summit included a "Platinum" model that had all 304 stainless frame and cabinetry. When you find one of these today, at least there are no issues with those parts. The current Summit cabinet often rusts miserably. When it gets to the frame legs, your are essentially done.

Russ,
The main issue on ALL of the Summit grills is that Weber made the decision to not use a simple all cast aluminum firebox on the Summit grills. This is where the Genesis is actually a better made grill. All Summits have porcelain-coated steel fronts and backs on their fireboxes. These eventually crack under expansion and contraction and soon the rust monster sets in. According to some, he works fast, too. Gaping holes in the front of your firebox can render your grill unsafe. But getting replacement parts is a lost cause for the 1st generation (ask Larry Michaels!) and maybe is even becoming difficult for generation 2.

I am hoping to find a sheet metal place that can help me with fabricating stainless "shields" that can be bolted on to both sides of the front piece to sandwich the rust prone area and give it a much longer life. It is not an elegant solution like a custom fabricated replacement piece, but it would involve much less specialized work and cost a lot less. I am hope that pieces to cover one two-burner section could be made. You would then use 2 sets on a four-burner Summit and 3 sets on a six-burner. Just need to find time to get the originals from the 1st generation Summit ready and then take them to shops I can locate to see what they say. By the way, my Summit was purchased from Larry, so it is especially fitting that it serve as a tool for finding this solution after how badly Weber let Larry down on its warranty obligation.

Back