Those grey plastic handles and table trims

The only problem with dollar store bleach is they don't tell you the bleach concentration. The only bleach that does is Clorox. And bleach does age and gets weaker with time. Just sayin' that generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

Probably veering off topic but I believe it’s mixing bleach with ammonia. That’s deadly. And to touch base on bleach, it’s Clorox and everything else. Only Clorox will give the concentration. All other ones do not. But the concentration is enough to act as a disinfectant. Not sure about dying application.

John, the bleach is simply a cleaning agent for me. I don't use it specifically to prep for dying. I clean all my knobs and handles with bleach when doing a rehab.

Maybe I should have been more clear. Since Clorox gives a concentration, you can use that as a measure to compare the oxidating property. However how other brands works in comparsion to that, I don’t know.

I wouldn’t call bleach cheap. Goes for at least 4 dollars a gallon.
If you guys have a Ocean State Job Lot near you go to the Swimming Pool Section and buy Pool Shock.
It is 12% Sodium Hypochlorite where regular bleach is anywhere from 4-6% Sodium Hypochlorite.20200721_184958_HDR.jpg
Best thing...it is $2.99 a gallon.
Just mix accordingly.

Jeff

Rick, I bought a SS steam table pan or salad bar pans. The kind that sit recessed into a buffet at a restaurant. THey come in a lot of sizes but I still had to do one end at a time on the lid handle. It holds the frame end handles just perfectly though.
I used 40 cups of water, 5 bottles of dye and about 2 cups of acetone.
Hi Bruce! Does it have to be dyemore? I bought the normal all purpose Rit dye. Do I need to exchange it for the dyemore one?

Also, has anyone tried to dye the plastic side tables? I’d like to dye them black. I know the hardest thing would be finding a big enough pan to fit them. But if I can, will it work just like the other plastic pieces?

Rio, I would only use Dyemore. I have seen where some used the regular stuff for plastics, but the Dyemore is designed for use on synthetics, plastics in particular.
I have not heard of anyone trying to dye the plastic (Thermoset) tables. They are made of a different material than most plastics, so it is hard to tell if it would work. It would be interesting to know however. If you try it, let us know.

Those thermoset tables will clean up to look like new. So if you are considering dying them to hide stains, you don't have to. I would probably do a batch for some knobs and try dipping the corner in the dye to see if the thermoset takes it. But you would have to hold it a long time. If you had a spare to try it on, that would be great.

Back