This Weekends Cook

Toby Keil

TVWBB All-Star
Here’s some of what I’m smoking this weekend, not sure If I’m going to start it tomorrow night or just wake up super early on Sat to start. The full packer is 14 Lbs and I got it for $ 27.60 and the butt is 11.7 Lbs and cost a whopping $6.09. I’m going to prep both tonight and will only slightly trim the brisket. Sure am wishing I had the 22” WSM right now. Oh yea, on Sunday I’m also going to do 2 chickens halved and marinated in Jerk sauce. Should be a fun weekend. I’ll keep this post alive as I move through the cook and the weekend.

Brisket_Butt.jpg

I have not posted to this site in quite a while, but through the gentle prompting from a friend and member of these boards (Don Irish), he has convinced me to. Here’s my story: got a 9.75# pork butt for the smoker this weekend, which may be just another weekend for some on these boards, but I am a virgin butt smoker!! I am having about 10 people over and I figured why not <STRIKE>poison</STRIKE> try it out on them. There will be other food as well, so I hope no one goes home hungry. I feel I probably should not have tried this on others before I tasted it, but what the heck. Through the recommendation of the aforementioned friend I am using this as the rub. I plan to put the butt on tonight about 9:00PM and let it cook low and slow all night.

I will post pics and give a report on how it all turns out later, but in the mean time...hi again to everyone and have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Here’s the brisket and the butt all rubbed down and ready for the fridge. I slightly trimmed the brisket and used a homemade rub on it and used Blues Hog on the butt. Wasn’t sure if the brisket was going to fit on my 18” WSM but after emailing Mr. Wolfe, he suggested I bend it. I’ll use the handles on the grate and wrap the ends in foil if need be. Thanks Larry!

Brisket.jpg

PorkButt-1.jpg

Woke up a little later then I wanted thanks to a few beers but did manage to get the brisket and the butt on by 6:30

BrisketandButt.jpg

Just opened the WSM and sprayed the brisket with a little apple juice, its lookin good and the but is at 153.

Brisket-1.jpg

While the brisket and pork butt were finishing I grilled up some beer brauts for lunch. When the brisket was done I wrapped it in foil and placed it in a cooler for a few hours and did the same with the butt. I sliced em up and and vac sealed for lunches and dinners later, didn't get a shot of the butt. Now I have 4 halved chickens marinating in jerk sauce that will be going on the smoker around 2pm.

Beer_Brauts_01.jpg

Beer_Brauts_02.jpg

Beer_Brauts_03.jpg

Brisket_01.jpg

Brisket_03.jpg

Finished up the weekend with the chicken and here’s the butt from Saturday. The chicken came out great, very moist and the company we had really enjoyed it. Now it’s Monday and we are going to a friends house for birthday party, time for someone else to cook.

Smoked_Chicken.jpg

Pork_Butt_01-1.jpg

Impressive cook(s) Tobey. I need to pull out my thumb and get going on something as ambitious.

Hope you had a chance to relax.

Back