This little piggy had roast beef

C

Chris

Well I filled the wsm with a couple of chuck roasts , and a 9lb corned beef, just room for one butt to go in as well, I will drag out the camera and get some shots in a couple of hours.

I was tidying the kitchen cupboard and found some Cookshack rubs, a smidgen of Rib Rub and half a jar of Brisket Rub, so the chuck roasts got some brisket rub on them and the pork butt got what was left of the Rib Rub.

The home corned beef marinated in some lemon and lime juice and will just get a couple of hours in the smoker to finish it. Mmmmmmmm smokey home corned beef!

The brisket was corned with the following brine.

Trim the fat from the brisket.

2 quarts water
1 cup kosher salt
½ cup white vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon peppercorns
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
1 pinch ground cloves

4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in thirds

Put the Water, salt, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, peppercorns, mustard seeds and ground cloves in a pan and bring to a boil, stir to disolve the sugar and salt.

Allow to cool to room temperature.

Put the brisket, the garlic into a 2 gallon ziploc, add the cooled brine and make sure the meat is covered by the brine, squeeze out as much air as you can, then refrigerate for 6 - 7 days, shake the bag and turn it over daily.

Remove the corned beef from the bag and rinse well. Pat it dry with paper towels and allow to air dry in the fridge at least 24 hours.

I marinate in a 50/50 mix of lemon and lime juice for 2 - 3 hours, then on the wsm it goes for 3 - 4 hours @ 230°.

Looking good, just checked it all out, the corned beef is about halfway done, everything else has another 3 ½ - 4 ½ hours to go, I am waiting on the wife getting home, she has our camera in her car, so I am stuck till she gets in for taking any pictures.

It sure does look and smell great, temperature is holding steady at 230°, I am slowly dying of anticipation for a hot corned beef on wheat, with a little horseradish mustard on the top and bottom.

Here is where they were when the wife got home.

The corned beef has about an hour to go here, it will be off first about the time I get round to posting these pics, the butt and the chuck will cook on a while longer.

Sitting pretty at 230
First pictures of whats cooking
Chuck roasts on the bottom rack
Turning the Corned Beef over.
Turning the Boston Butt over

Note from Moderator: Please see guidelines for posting photos. Changing these 200K+ photos to links for those on slow connections. Thanks!

The corned beef was melt in the mouth inside with a slightly chewy bark. Smoked with apple and hickory and JD Old #7 Brand Tennessee Whiskey grilling pellets, ? rd ish of each, a little heavier on the Hickory than either of the other two.

It is moist but not wet, smoked but not overly so, sealed in its own juices, lightly lemony limey through out, with a back taste of the brine (back taste being a good thing, not a negative thought, the touch of the brine adds another dimension that is hard to classify).

I wish we had smell-o-vision and taste-o-vision, I can almost sense the wave of drool from here.

Pictures of the final product, to follow!

Apologies to any who were affected by my large pictures. Point taken and will be adhered to Mr. Admin.

I know "we all read the guidelines before we jump in", (not).
icon_wink.gif
I just might have forgotten this time, it's not a problem for me, sorry to cause you any extra work, that was not my intention.

Back