This just in from Weber

Mike Hartwell

TVWBB Pro
This "recipe of the week" just popped in to my inbox.
Foiled ribs over direct heat for an hour, then sauced and browned. Supposedly good after 1 1/4 hours.
Anybody here ever tried this?
I'll be visiting my son-in-law this summer. He has never made the switch to charcoal, so I'll give this a shot then.

Thanks for the link Mike. I am doing a test cook this weekend before I am supposed to bring ribs for the 4th to a party. I have never foiled ribs, I like a little chew,but I am going to try this.

This is very similar to an Alton Brown recipe from around seven years ago or so. Even that recipe called for more than an hour though from what I recall.

I did it a couple of times with pretty good results, but still prefer slow and low, dry and open.

Edit: alot more cook time, and I did it in a 22" kettle, not the oven. Alton Brown recipe

Hey Mike,I tried this foiled rib recipe tonight.Yeah,Yeah I know....no pics never happened....I'm working on trying to do pics of my grilling..Anyway...I did a rack of St.Louis and a rack of Baby Backs. Both came put tender and juicy. The Baby backs came out better. The St louis style tasted a little "steamed","baked" sort of like precooked meat at some restaurants. I dislike that, tastes like leftover meat.Both did have a good crust, as the recipe calls for you to grill them direct unfoiled at the end with BBQ sauce. So thanks for the link.

Mike I have done something similar using my gasser. I however cook/brown/smoke them for about 30-45 minutes with a spice rub on them at about 300*. I do this until they are looking some what cooked but not tender and then foil with about a 1/4 of a beer. All this done in half slab cuts. Cook for another 45 min-1 hr and then remove from the foil and sauce. This takes less than 2 hours and turns out pretty good. I however would call this grilled ribs not BBQ due to the heat and the amount of time we are cooking these. HTH Vince

I appreciate the replies.
I would also have crusted them up a bit before foiling. Not sure about adding liquid to the packets, though.

I did 2 slabs of these yesterday. One slab was very thin, the other slab good and thick. The thin slab burned on the bottom in the foil. The thicker ones were fine coming out of the foil. Next time I would go 45 minutes in the foil, maybe with some of that indirect, and 1/2 hour over the coals. They were good, but not killer good.They were good enough that I will try again with some modifications til I get them right.

Back