This is cool: Jerky anyone?

Alton Brown says to use a box fan with the meat in between air filters attached to the fan. I think it is great that he is thinking outside the box, but I have a hard time using something like a filter for this purpose. You just don't know what kind of unsafe substance might be on those filters from the manufacturing process because they were never intended to be food safe. The other thing is you won't get any smoke with his approach. So I think we are much better off just using our bullets for jerky.

I agree with David. He uses liquid smoke since it is all done inside. I've seen the episode and found it entertaining, but those of us with a WSM...
On a similar note, he has an episode on homebrewing which features a risky procedure. He recommends using commercial ice to pour the wort over to help bring down the temps in preparation for the yeast. Sanitation is critical in brewing and introducing commerical ice is risky. OK, I'm off my soap box.

Beeeee Esssssss. No ice is needed in making brewskis. I've never used ice even with my 3+ years of chemistry classes at the university level. Just yeast, good water and hops, and the right starchy.

No ice is necessarily needed in the wort, but you do have to bring the temp down before pitching the yeast. That's normally done with an external ice bath or a wort chiller. Ah, it's been too long since I've had a good homebrew
icon_wink.gif
!

I made a couple of batches a few weeks back to submit to the Sam Adams Longshot contest. Put the bottles of water in the chest freezer (sealed) while I cooked the wort and then once everything was sealed up good I set the bucket on the steps of the pool so the chilly pool water came a little over half way up the bucket. It got the wort cooled down pretty darn quickly, and by the way, the beer is excellent.

Back