This has been a GREAT day!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If a day could get any better, I'm not how that would be. A rare, sunny, pleasant day in Bremerton, Washington. Soaked it up like a lizard. Put two racks of ribs and two Boston Butts on at Noon; trying out a new rub of McCormick's Garlic and Herb and Bayou Cajun Seasoning. Ribs came off at 5pm. Very happy with 'em; perhaps some more cayenne or something to zing 'em up a bit. Maybe you guys have a suggestion or two.

Just took the BBs off a few minutes ago; they're resting contentedly on the counter.

Best of all, got a call from our son Josh who's still in Iraq with a contingent of the 7th Marine Engineers. First time hearing his voice "real time" since March. We were always missing him, not at home and getting voice messages. Not today! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

We're looking forward to a big BBQ when he gets home. Planning on having a larger pit by then. Also plan on using every inch of it and the WSM.

Sunshine, some warmth, BBQ, and a phone call from your son in Iraq. Now THAT'S a great day!

It doesn't get any better than that. When you talk to your son again, tell him how proud we are of our troops in the Middle East.

Kyle ...

Thanks for your post... Your great day gave me a smile also... God's speed to your son's safe return...

Cheers!!!

Bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OH!!! By the way, how did you like the McCormick's Garlic and Herb???

Bugg,

I thought it tasted quite good, blending it with the Cajun seasoning. However, I think I would have liked the rub to have more "zip" to it. The Cajun had some cayenne; however, blending the two took away any punch. Still, I liked it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kyle

Going to be a great weekend too. Taking off for the Oregon Coast for 4 days of camping. Weather report is sunny and warm (low 70s) which is rare for the coast (usually cloudy, rainy and 60s) No Q'g, but lots of D.O.'g (dutch ovening).

My great day story can't hold a candle to getting a call from your son in the military, but I'll share anyway ...
Fixed some plumbing around the house for $90 in parts. A plumber wanted $600+ for parts and labor.

Went to our neighborhood ACE hardware store and found PVC gloves for $2.99...bought 'em.

And, mounds of wood chunks and logs. "We sell a lot of that," said the hardware man.

If memory serves me correctly, here's what they had:
Oak, Alder, Grape (chips), Apple, Pecan, Cherry, Peach, Hickory, Mesquite and Maple. The logs were Hickory and Cherry.

I bought Apple. I'm going to use it this weekend, mixed with Pecan, for Brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sam Goller:
[qb]Went to our neighborhood ACE hardware store and found...mounds of wood chunks and logs...Oak, Alder, Grape (chips), Apple, Pecan, Cherry, Peach, Hickory, Mesquite and Maple.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Only in BBQ Country will you find such a selection at an Ace hardware store.

I'm jealous. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Regards,
Chris

Reared by my mother and three older sisters, I married and had four daughters. These four daughters over the past twelve years have birthed four granddaughters. Even our dog and cat are female.

Eight pound grandson Isaac just born to number four daughter. I have plans for him. It's a glorious day and a bright future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sam Goller:
[qb]Went to our neighborhood ACE hardware store and found...mounds of wood chunks and logs...Oak, Alder, Grape (chips), Apple, Pecan, Cherry, Peach, Hickory, Mesquite and Maple.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Only in BBQ Country will you find such a selection at an Ace hardware store.

I'm jealous. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Regards,
Chris [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And some other places, too. My nearby Ace, where I purchased my WSM, sells-- not mounds, unfortunately-- but 1 and 2 lb. bags of chunks of all those at $2.50 and $4.50 respectively. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif They look like they're packaged on-site, so I may have to ask about larger quantities at a discount next time I'm there.

We also have Academy Sports and Outdoor stores in the southeast that sell roughly 40-plus pound bags of Big John's brand hickory, pecan, and mesquite for $9.99. Only wish they had oak and fruitwoods, too.

Kyle,

It doesn't get any better than that...
I have a son, Joe in the Navy overseas, and never hear from him as much as I want... He's due home sometime in October (we hope), he's never had anything on my WSM and I can't wait to cook for him when he gets home.
As a former Marine myself, give your son a Semper Fi for me!

OOO RAH!

I think that was the first OOO RAH! we've ever had on the bulletin board. Cool! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back