Thinking right or wrong ?

H. Wilson

I have a Weber 1999 1100 nat gas grill I bought new. Mixed results with it over the years but I want to do a 6# bone in turkey breast in a pan Sunday if the weather is good. Thinking to treat it like cooking in an oven indoors meaning oiled and seasoned outside at about 325d indirect heat with smoke from soaked hickory chips using only one burner of the three to maintain about that temp and a in meat thermometer. A test using front and rear burners only made the inside grill temp much higher with both on low. Am I thinking wrong about treating it like being indoors in a oven ? Is this considered grilling, smoking, cooking or what. How much of a smoke trail is normal to do this ? Tks. *BW*

I've never cooked a turkey in our Genesis, but I have baked a lot of bread in it! My experience is that you can in fact treat it just like an oven, and it will produce the same results as an oven.

When baking bread, I preheat to 350 deg using all three burners. As it approaches 300 deg, I turn the middle burner off and the front and rear burners down to 1/2. I watch the temp and when it hits 350 I turn the burners down to 1/4 to 1/3, depending on the outside temperature. A little bit of fine adjustment and I can hold it far closer to temp than even the best electric oven.

Welcome to the forum! How hot did your grill get with two burners lit? I would lean towards using the front and back burners on low and cook it on indirect heat in the middle of the grill temp is a little more than the desired 325 degrees. Having a rotisserie would be great for a cook like this.

I'd cook it on a rack in a pan.

I think on my 1000, with front and back burner on low it settles in around 350, maybe 375. I think the preheat step Grant mentioned makes sense. Get the whole cookbox hot around 350, and then dial in your target temp.

Do you have a meat probe you can leave in while cooking? Keeping the lid closed and watching the meat so it can be pulled at target temp will be a key.

You're not wrong it's just like an oven used the way you're describing. Me? I would put it on the rotisserie though (but then again I would not cook turkey LOL)

For the turkey, if you are using a pan, do as DanHoo says and put it on a rack to suspend it out of the juices or the bottom will get very mushy...unless you don't care about that meat on the turkey's back.

Tks to all for the good notes. Yes, dummy here forgot to mention that I did preheat all burners for about 15 min. then did my last single burner test. Previous test after preheat with Front and Rear on low temps quickly got closer to 375-400 is why I tried the single method to try to not cook too quickly causing dryness. I used number drills for a tight fit of Taylor corded temp probes thru the side walls to not droop over the grates and I'll use one over the back Off burner and one in the breast to check temps as well as the one in the lid. How much smoke do I need to see come out of the grill ? Slight trail, more noticeable trail, heavy trail or ? My tin can method for smoking works much better than the Weber attachment that fit inside the grill that quickly rusted out years ago and only worked with higher flame settings. Intend to rotate pan quickly 180d every 30 min or so to get even cooking. Tks. *BW*

just some light smoke coming out the back is what you want to see. More smoke is OK, but you will use up the wood pretty fast that way.

SUCCESS ! Cooked it today but air temp was lower a bit, mostly cloudy sky, light cool breeze that made the grill cooler so I needed to set burners L-O-L to get temp set better. It all worked quite good but need to season better next time somehow for better flavor. Tks to all. BW

Back