Thinking of modding a gas rotisseire kit for my Weber Charcoal Grill...thoughts?

Jake Wilson

TVWBB Fan
21897642108_1d69d7315a_c.jpg

I wanting to try my hand using a rotisserie on my Weber Performer. I have this gas grill kit that contains the motor, spit rod, spit forks, counter balance weight, etc.

If I was going to make this work for my 22.5" Weber Charcoal grill, wouldn't it be easier if I bought the ring Weber sells? that said, can you buy just the ring and bracket, since I have a motor, spit, forks, etc.?

Has anyone here done this, by having the kit I have then buying the ring, etc.?

Does Weber sell the pieces? What about Cajun Bandit? I see both companies sell the entire/complete rotisserie kit but I don't see the pieces I need being offered individually for sale

Just thought I'd ask here as this forum has been a tremendous asset at times

Thanks Jim! I've been scouring my local Craig's list, to no avail, but you never know...one may show up soon. In the meantime, I just sent Weber an email asking if they will sell me the ring only, by sending them the same pic I posted here, so they could see the parts I have and be able to ascertain if I need anything else from them besides the ring, like maybe a bracket for the motor I have to fit with their ring. I don't know if the motor and motor bracket I have that came in the kit (I have) will work with Weber's ring. That said, I would imagine the motor and brackets are or could fit universal applications

As to the others that are spinning w/o a ring...that would be hard to do on a Performer, what with the frame work that surrounds the lower kettle top, where you would need to drill so as to add a place for the rod to attach

A Weber rep replied...dey no wanna get involved in Jake's Frankenbastid rotisserie speriment...LOL

next attempt to procure a rotisserie ring fer me Weber Performer, Cajun Bandito

cajun bandit offered me a ring and motor mount, @ $120 + ship

I'm in a holding pattern for now...

If anyone here comes across a ring (weber or cajun), give me a holler por favor=:)

I was going to tell you that Weber is ruled by paranoid lawyers and they do not like to sell parts for any type of modifications whatsoever. I just knew they wouldn't sell you the ring if they knew what you are trying to do. It seems that the bigger a company gets, the more paranoid it becomes.

You could make a ring out of some flashing or sheet metal or something like that. I've seen that somewhere, probably on this site. Otherwise, you could try ereplacementparts.com for the ring.

Last edited:
You'll be very happy with the Cajun Bandit ring, we love ours. I did like you and only ordered the ring from them, it came with the motor mount (but not the motor, already had that).

Thanks for the testament Steve=:) I guess my Scottish frugal nature is taking over on this purchase, it's just that I am having a hard time justifying spending $120 + shipping for only the ring and motor mount, whereas $30 more buys another motor, spit and forks, yet I don't need those items, right now...

As a friend of mine was fond of saying "try making one in your basement". I'm not a metal worker and I know someone who is but they would need to be compensated for their time to produce a ring for me. In the meantime, I'm doing w/o

But I will renew my call to those reading this thread, if you have a ring you aren't using, don't want, or if you happen to know of one somebody else has on the cheap...please contact me

I was going to tell you that Weber is ruled by paranoid lawyers and they do not like to sell parts for any type of modifications whatsoever. I just knew they wouldn't sell you the ring if they knew what you are trying to do. It seems that the bigger a company gets, the more paranoid it becomes.

You could make a ring out of some flashing or sheet metal or something like that. I've seen that somewhere, probably on this site. Otherwise, you could try ereplacementparts.com for the ring.

~~~When emailing with Weber, the first rep that got back with me told me they would not sell the ring to me for my project, so I wrote back asking what if I bought the entire kit and by misfortune, the ring and motor mount somehow became unusable. Another rep replied and said, in that instance, Weber would sell the ring and motor mount only as pieces to me, to replace what was damaged. You can draw your own conclusions

I've given thought to fabricating this myself, and as you mentioned, using flashing easily purchased through a home store like Lowes or Home Depot. Not sure what I'd do about coming up with a lip on the flashing...

I also know of a metal fabricator and have given thought to taking the kettle to him so he can have a look see and quote a price to fab this for me. he's done some work for me in the past and at this point the only thing holding me up is having to drag my Performer in the back of my pick up to his place...eh!

. Otherwise, you could try ereplacementparts.com for the ring.

~~~Thanks for mentioning this Greg...I forgot to mention I sent them an email asking if they sell the Weber ring and motor mount. Since it's Sunday, I figured they were closed so no phone call from me

Back