Thinking of finally using a Clay Saucer - would love some more opinions.

Michael Spurling

TVWBB Member
I have a 18" WSM - I've had it for about 3 years now. I've read past posts on people using Clay Saucers in the archives; and it seems like many people have a positive view on using them.

I have always used water in my pan - but I think I want to switch to a Clay Saucer.

I'm leaning towards a 12" or a 14" Saucer.

I'm planning on smoking some pork butts in about 3-4 weeks from now, so I want to get ready.

Can some others who use the Saucer comment on the pro's and cons and what they like and dislike about it?

From what I have read - easy cleanup is a huge pro; the saucer should help increase the heat some in the smoker and keep the heat level very constant for a longer period of time.

I also read that the 14" Saucer may be a bit to snug fitting against the bottom grill - thats why I read that a 12" Saucer may be ideal.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Michael,I've got 3 words for you. GO FOR IT! I switched recently and couldn't be happier. You don't have to worry about refilling the water pan on long cooks,you don't have to clean the water pan,and should the worst happen and the pan slips,there is no water to put out the coals! I can't believe I waited so long. I think my saucer is 16". It barely sits inside the water pan,but works like a charm!

Disposing of water was a real issue for me. I went to the clay saucer over two years ago when there was lots of discussion here about them. I've stayed with it. I foil the water pan and the saucer individually and that's it. Works fine.

The saucer does not have as much temperature regulating capability as a full water pan, but you don't need it. You will find the vent adjustments are more touchy after you switch, but it's perfectly manageable. Well worth it for the reduced fuel consumption and easier clean-up.

I use a foiled 14" I got from HD for temps under 300, foiled empty water pan for over 300. The 14" fits perfectly, like it was made for the WSM. As for even temps, I haven't had a problem with water, empty pan, or saucer.

I believe someone posted that their 14" sits on top of the water pan and touches the botton grate but that a 12.5" fit into the water pan perfectly.

The biggest issue to watch out for will be trying to recover from an overheat - the saucer will hold heat a long time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The saucer does not have as much temperature regulating capability as a full water pan, but you don't need it. You will find the vent adjustments are more touchy after you switch, but it's perfectly manageable. Well worth it for the reduced fuel consumption and easier clean-up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well said. And as Phil said, GO For It! I also find that it always helps to have a wind-break, even on seemingly breeze-free days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Spurling:

I'm planning on smoking some pork butts in about 3-4 weeks from now, so I want to get ready.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael - depending on how many butts you plan doing, I'd even go as far to recommend just a foiled empty water pan with no clay saucer at all.

I routinely cook 4 butts (usually 8# or larger) at a time on my 18.5", and I had been using the clay saucer for some time, but had to keep all 4 vents open to maintain ~275. The past 2 times I left out the clay saucer all together and have saved about 1/3 fuel, and can go about 13 hrs without adding any more. Also only need to crack the vents about .25 open once she is up to temp.

Not sure how many butts you are doing, but maybe another option for you.

Another view from one who has never tried a clay saucer...Piedmont Pan. Tried it and never went back. Very pleased with it.

I only use water when I want to maintain low and slow 250* or lower. I find with the clay saucer mosttimes I run 250-275* and can not get down lower. I know I have some air leaks but I guess all our cookers run a bit different. For me the only time I will use water is as I stated above. If you have issues of running to hot with the clay saucer, you really have to pay attention to how many lit coals you start with. See how it works for you. Vince

For low heat, saucer ( I've got a 14) works great. For high heat skip the saucer. I think if you are loading up the WSM (with meat) you can skip the saucer as well.

My saucer sits just touching the very outer edge of the lower grate. I just switched to the saucer and had a perfect cook.

(BTW my WSM runs on the cooler side)

Thanks everyone for their input, thoughts and opinions.

I'm going to be cooking 2 pork butts.

I think in the next week or so I'll hit my local Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a Saucer.

I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Spurling:
Thanks everyone for their input, thoughts and opinions.

I'm going to be cooking 2 pork butts.

I think in the next week or so I'll hit my local Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a Saucer.

I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just picked up the 14" saucer last week at Home Depot for less than $10 for my '10 18.5" and it fits very nicely.

I was using the 12" clay saucer with my WSM 18 and while it worked great as far as temp and fuel were concerned, it was still a pain to clean up since some drippings hit the bowl as well as the saucer. I have two butts on now with a 14" saucer that I picked up at HD this week and so far it is working just as well and it looks like clean up will be easier.

Back