Thighs and Breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrell Hill

TVWBB Member
I have been considering using skinless and boneless thighs and breast for a KCBS contest. Does anyone know if there is any reason not to use them. If not, has anyone seen them used in a contest?

I've seen boneless skinless chicken pieces turned in and they're not the magic bullet you're looking for. The drawback to skinless chicken is it's hard to keep the outside surface from drying out somewhat as it cooks. Basting and/or saucing as it cooks doesn't help much. Bark is expected on pork and brisket, but not of chicken.

A probable better solution would be to work your rub under the skin then remove the skin after it's cooked. You get the flavor from the rub while the fat under the skin will melt during cooking and keep the meat under it tender and moist.

I generally turn in boneless thighs with the skin on since they fit easily into the box and give more presentation options than the bone-in variety. I also work some rub under the skin as best I can since that's one of the flavors I want to impart to the judge. If the judge eats the skin, he or she will get that flavor. If the judge removes the skin, some rub will still be present on the meat.

As it cooks (especially under higher heat), the skin will also take on some of the appealing GB&D color that I'm looking for.

With skinless pieces, you can't really add much color to the meat without also drying it out.

Chicken is pretty cheap to experiment with. Try a side by side comparison at home with a couple of birds. I think you'll find the pieces cooked with the skin on will be much better.

Ken

Deleted duplicate post in Advanced Forum. This reply was posted by Jim Beauchamp on 11/6/2003.

-----------------------

Yes Darrel I have used boneless/skinless thighs in an ABA contest and know quite a few others have as well. I have not done the boneless/skinless breasts in the WSM but have done them in my offset and commercial pit quite often. Both should be cooked at a higher temp (325 F) as they do not need to be tenderized by the slow method. In competitions I have heard they are also "finished" over open coals as well. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Jim B. (smokin in the G.W.N.)

Why do they call it tourist season, if we can't shoot them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back