thermometer?

Mike Tag

TVWBB Member
alright, I have a thermometer to put in the meat and measure the meat temp. What I do not have is a way to measure the temp of the smoker. Was looking at the links and am thinking that I may just go with the candy cane method of letting the thermometer dangle from the top vent. Do y'all have any suggestions on the thermometer i should by? Am debating whether to go to Academy tomorrow or to simply order from Amazon. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Am not ready to drill into my smoker right now.

I've used a Taylor candy therm with a clip through a vent in the lid for years and have been quite satisfied. You can get as sophisticated as you want, but ... this is long, slow cooking, not baking and exact time and temps are not critical, IMO.

Paul

The Weber replacement thermometer works well. And some (mine doesn't
icon_frown.gif
) have the big Weber logo on them. That adds cool factor.
icon_cool.gif

Mike,

If you have a Target Store near you they sell TruTemp Digital Probe Thermometers for $16.99. I have been using two of these for the past two years. I run one probe either under the lid onto the top grate or hang in the top vent and the other goes into the meat. Very accurate and reliable.

True Temp Therms

just bought another accurite thermometer. will use my old one to measure the temp of the smoker and my new one to measure the meat temp.

also picked up some barbeque gloves, a couple of bags of kingsford, and a bad of mesquite wood chunks. unfortunately, Academy had no hickory chunks but the first smoke I ever did on my old New Braunfels grill was with mesquite so I think it is fitting.

My latest setup involves the NuTemp thermometers. It's a wireless probe system that supports up to 3 probes. This is great for overnight smokes because you can set 1 probe for a high alarm, 1 probe for a low alarm, and another probe for the meat. I also have a cheapo candy thermometer that I bent the metal clip on so I can run it through top vent. It's nice to have both systems to back each other up. Sometimes if the probes will give you bad readings if they are resting on the meat.

Mike,

Bought my brand new Ashcroft thermometer on eBay for $15, and I love it.

It has 50 degree numbered increments up to 550 degrees.

-Albert

Hi David
No, it doesn't. You would need a much bigger gap to effect the temp of a running WSM, besides, the gap would ideally need to be nearer the coals to have a significant effect.

morgan

Thanks Mike.

Does anyone know if the True Temp from the Target has a probe long enough to reach both cooking levels when installed trough the top vent?

David,

It might be able to reach the lower cooking grate, but I doubt it especially if you have the unit sittting on a table or something outside the cooker.

I am curious though why you would install the probe in the top vent and run it all the way down to the lower cooking grate. Why not go through the access door or under the lid and down?

David,

You can run your therm probes under the lid. Just be cautious that you don't slam the lid down on the wires. You will not even notice any smoke loss from the wires going under the lid.

There's a lot of information here on this board and the vast majority of it can be very helpful, but it can also be overwhelming. Take a deep breath, use your common sense, and remember the K.I.S.S. method.

Back