Thermometer Savvy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Parr

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all, I have just ordered my WSM yesterday from Amazon, and I have a few questions about thermometers.
1. Do you absolutely need them? I usually use my hand as a gage when checking temps.
2. Why doesn't Weber include it with the unit? I have a performer grill and there is one on the lid, albeit I don't trust the reading.
3. Where is the thermometer best placed? I saw one member who went a little "thermo-mad" using multiple thermometers, geez...I've got patients in my ICU with less wires...
4. And finally, who makes the best thermometer and why...

I love this site and hope to be an asset to your community soon...
Gal

Okay, here's a little addendum to my post.
I've been reading up on the thermometer section of the site and have a question about the probe thermometers.
1. The remote probe themometers on sharper image, show preset readings for internal tempuratures of meat,poultry ect. Is it possible then to get a reading for the internal WSM tempurature?
2. These units are advertised to alert you when you have reached you desired temp, do they also alert you if the temp goes below goal?

From what I've been reading, I see now that I need a thermometer and I want to order it soon, so it will be here when my WSM arrives, but now I am REALLY confused....Help!

Well... You'll probably get a number of differing opinions on this topic. Some like to drill holes in the WSM and mount thermometers in the hood and/or at the grill level. Some, will use Polder-like probes to check temps. And still others will just use their hands.

Personally, I use three thermometers. One is simply inserted through the top vent. Gives me something to look at. I then use a Polder probe sitting inside, on the top rack, stuck through a potato. This gives me a reading of the temps that the meat is cooking at. I then use another Polder probe to track the internal temps of the meat. I usually calibrate all thermometers and probes prior to each use.

Bottom line - you use what you're comfortable with using.

I'm like Mike...I use three thermometers.

I have a Taylor candy therm stuck in the top vent. A digital one (I have both a Taylor and a Polder) at the top grate and the other one for the temp of the meat. If I'm doing ribs, I only use two...the candy one and a digital.

Between Polder and Taylor, I prefer the Taylor because 1) it was cheaper (at least in Alabama), 2) it has an on/off switch, and 3) there is a plastic sleeve at the point where the cable goes into the stem for additional moisture protection. Neither of the digitals have a low temp alarm.

DO NOT use Polder's dual probe model...it's junk.

As far as mounting, there are a numbers of ways. The method I like best (although I've yet to do it) for measuring grate temp is to get a small piece of aluminum tubing and a couple of e-clips and replace one of the bolts holding the grate brakets with the tubing and clips. This puts the probe just below the grate and it's super easy to insert and remove. There is a thread somewhere on one of the forums about this.
----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I have four in the drawer: A regular Polder that I've had the longest, which works OK; a Taylor that I like better than the Polder b/c of the tube that protects where the cable enters the probe, the on/off switch, and the much cheaper price; A Polder Remote I got for Christmas that I don't trust any farther than I could throw it (30* reading changes inside of two minutes, for example); and a Weber 9815 Replacement thermometer that's inserted thru the tubing-thru-the-bolt-hole mod. If I trusted the remote, I could also use it thru the bolt hole, too, but, since I don't, I just turn the Weber so the desired temp is at 12 o'clock, so I can just glance at it out the window.

Randy, various sections of the WSM will provide you different readings, some of them wildly apart from one another, depending upon length of time into the cook. The only meaningful WSM temp is at the grate. Dome temps, for example, need extrapolated to give you approx. grate temps.

Therefore I've come to use one good bimetal thermometer through the bracket hole which supports the upper grate. (Search the archives for threads on this.) I have two for this purpose, a Trend and a ReoTemp. They have 9" and 8" stems respectively, so they reach well into the unit, stems that are also 1/4" in diameter, so they do not require tubing sleeves and clips. The grate bracket remains stable. Just as importantly, either one can be recalibrated.

You don't need a meat thermometer on ribs and chicken, etc. On larger pieces of meat, like briskets or butts, I use either a quality bimetal thermometer or a foolproof, old-fashioned mercury meat thermometer. You can buy these for a few cents on the dollar on eBay.

I have both Polder and Taylor digitals and use them occassionally, but I look at them like dogs I can't trust.

The most important dictum is that if you depend on thermometers, make sure they are dependable. Test them.

Wow! I never expected so many replies and so quickly, thanks!
Well, I have some research to do finding those threads you mention...as an average female, I have no idea what you are talking about with clips and sleeves...I hope they are explained on the thread (do I dare hope for pictures?).
It sounds like no one is overly impressed with the digitals, so I will stick with the tried and true old fashion manual thermometers...please don't ask me to drill a hole...I just can't do it...
Thanks again!

Here is a photo, with close-up detail of the e-clip and tube thru the bolt hole. Beneath the e-clip is the fiber washer orginally supplied with the WSM. There is another e-clip similarly installed inside the cooker as well. The tubing is aluminum, about 1" long, 1/4" outer diameter, obtained from an appliance parts supply.

Photo

I don't know what all the fuss over thermometers is. I just use a Taylor oven thermometer like Chris shows on several different sections. All I have to do is open the lip just a small amount and take a look. I find that not much heat is lost, especially if you compare the crack that must be left by multiple thermometer probes throughout an entire cook. As for the smoke build-up, I just put the thermometer in the dishwasher and it comes out clean.

This device, along with an instant read thermometer, are far less hassle and are much more precise and inexpensive, especially since I cook more based on time. Also, since the WSM is so solid and low maintenance, I don't tend to use the oven thermometer that much anyway.

For the last year, I have just hung a polder digital probe through one of the holes in the top vent. I bought an extra probe for the meat and just switch the plugs into the main body of the polder to view the different readings.

I finally broke down and bought a Taylor Candy Thermometer to use in the lid. I haven't used it yet, but I will just clip it to the top vent tab and stick it in the upper vent hole. I just got tired of dealing with the wire from my polder probe everytime I lifted the lid. I jerked the whole setup off the table one too many times.

Geez...my hands are looking better all the time...
Thanks for all the info and especially the photos, this Gal cant even program a VCR so the E-clip and tubing business are out. I'm out to have fun...
Dean sounds like my kind of guy, my experience in life is usually the best solutions are the simplest ones! I will research the ReoTemp and Trend bimetal thermometers and see if I can find one on Ebay.
I truely appreciate everyone's input, I would have been miserable with a digital but it was originally my first choice (I love toys), by telling me why you like or hate it you saved me a lot of time and money with a product I now know, is not right for me.
Chris and Doug: Thank you so much for the photos,
they gave me a real clarity on what I was getting into. I usually leave the mechanical stuff to my 23 year old son Joe, but he is overseas kickin some Sadaam butt and I won't see him until November and I just can't wait that long.
I am forever greatful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back