thermometer recommendations

Dan Lindsey

Hi. I've had a Polder dual-probe thermometer like this one http://www.amazon.com/Polder-P...id=1287624249&sr=8-7 for awhile now, but my fourth probe just failed, presumably b/c I'm getting its cord too hot. Does anyone have a recommendation for a probe thermometer whose probes can handle high temps? I like to leave the probe in the meat and/or in the smoker indefinitely during the smoke.

Thanks!

Dan

Never had a problem with my Maverick. Yours looks like it has a plastic sheeting on the leads. My maverick has a metal braided lead on the probe.

I have a maverick and they take the heat well, but they suck if you are looking for more then 10' of a wireless range or if you are looking for accuracy. Try 10-15* difference between the 2 probes at room temp!

Maverick ET-73 is what I've been using. They are accurate (I test both probes in boiling water and always get 211 or 212 degrees) and the range is good. From my smoker to my stove in my kitchen is about 30 feet and its good at that distance. Used it several times and so far no issues with the heat messing up the leads.

Depends on what do you consider "high temps".

My Polders and Maverick only display a max of 392º and the cables are only rated for ~425º.

Update: I see that the new Maverick "high heat" probes are rated for 570º.

I have used the Maverick almost 1 year. I did upgrade to the longer HH probes. The have always worked great. I have no issue with remote reception from my cook shack all the way to my bedroom, thru several walls. I have even taken my display monitor next door and still have reception. Obviously your experience may not be so good with reception as many here state. It must be the luck of the draw.

Mark

I'm not even sure that high temps are what's causing the Polder probes to fail, but something is. It seems like the metal braided lead on the probe cord may be the way to go?

Is there an advantage/disadvantage between the Maverick ET-73 and the Maverick ET-7? The former has slightly better reviewers on amazon, fwiw. Any other suggested brands to look at?

Thanks for the responses!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Bauer:
Does anyone have this one?

I've got hotel points to spend and was thinking of getting this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I have the Weber version of it. I've had it for about 3 years now and have had no problems or complaints with it.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...thermometer+wireless

"Is there an advantage/disadvantage between the Maverick ET-73 and the Maverick ET-7?"

I only have experience with the ET-73 and have no complaints.

I like things simple. IMO, the ET-7 seems too ... 'busy'. It's a thermometer yet what has the smallest display - the temps! Do you really need a 2" high "BEEF" display?

The ET-73 has both low and high temp alerts. The ET-7 just has high temp alert.

The ET-73 displays both probe temps. The ET-7 only displays one probe's temp reading but can be set to alternate between the probes.

Back