thermometer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Before I do my first cook on my shiny new WSM I still need to get a thermometer. Only ones I can get around here are pyrex and accu-rite(these are the digital probe type). Anyone have experience with these? they range from $10 to $25. I also need to get a thermometer for the dome...a candy type but having trouble finding one of these too. I've checked Home Depot and Lowes to no avail.......tried a candy store to no avail(more a cake/wedding store).....as I mentioned Meijer had the pyrex and accu'rite probe type ones...

Ron

Ron,

I have been using the Pyrex for over a year now. Works great I would recomend it. I bought mine at a Bed Bath and Beyond. Ebay is a good source for what your looking for also.
Best of luck to ya.

Steve S

Ron, I have 3 Pyrex therms from BB&B, also. They have them priced at $19.99. I got my Taylor from Target for $16.99.

Along with my Polder, they all work well. As Mike said, just be sure and check them regularly with boiling water.

My newest Pyrex reads 208? at boiling point. I'm going to exchange it. The others are all 210-212?.

Ron,

Local Home Depot carries Weber "replacement" therms that work well in the vent. Check other Weber dealers to see if they stock them.

Otherwise, 'most any place that carries kitchen gadgets and household stuff should have thermomoeters. Target, K-Mart, Walmart.

And for sure check in boiling water before use. All of my digitals are good, but the analog therm that I have for the vent is off by 15 degrees.

not all thermometers are alike as you found out.you should look for one that can be re-calibrated to meet the boiling water test.big green egg has one for about 20 bucks.it has an adjustable nut on the back so it can be tuned to 212 degrees.also it comes with a clip so it can be adjusted up or down so it won't hit any high meat when inserted thru the top vent.some moisture formed inside mine when boiled water calibrated.so far this has not been detrimental to appearance or function

I have had an accu-rite single probe thermometer for about 3 years and have not had any problems with it. I think I bought it at Home Depot for around $15. I also have a dual probe Maverick wireless (got it last Christmas) and it adds convenience, and I use it most of the time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back