Thermometer on the weber top

Mike_V

TVWBB Member
What's the deal with this anyway? Since my last cook, I got a Maverick ET73 and am using it for the first time tonight...

When I first fired up the smoker and put everything back together, the ET73 immediately registered around 235-240 - I was able to get it stable pretty quick. After awhile (like 30 minutes) the ET73 was still showing 240 but the Weber was showing around 190.

So, a couple hours later Now the ET73 is showing 245 probably climbing as the water in the water pan heats up) and the weber is ALSO showing 245. Is the thermometer on the weber lid just REALLY slow to register temperature changes or what? At first I thought it was just "off" by 50+ degrees but now it looks like its completely accurate, it just moves really slow.

Anyone know what the deal is?

This is the opposite to what I experienced. The Weber showed 250 in minutes, but the grill temperature was at about 180. I think the hot air rises so the Weber gets the heat first. Over time I guess the hot air spread consistently so both registered the same, but generally I find the grill is about 50deg cooler than the Weber temperature. Generally I only use the Weber thermometer as a rought guide as I walk past, when it gets over 225 I start to get ready for some change, like the water is running low.

My grate temp is consistently 25 to 30 degrees hotter than my lid temp. So from now on, I just shoot for 200-210 lid temp and that puts me at 225-235 grate temp.

Back