Thermometer install questions

Steven Reed

TVWBB Member
Hello gents,
For those of you who have drilled a hole in your beloved WSM, is it necessary to drill a pilot hole first or can you just start out using a unibit. Also which website is the best place to order a Tel-tru therm from? I have read that Tel-tru manufacturing can take ages to get one to you and the wolfe rub webssite is down.

I've never seen a unibit with an angled tip that would eliminate the need for drilling a pilot hole first. Considering how slick the surface is, a small pilot hole would prevent the bit from wandering until it gets a bite.

You can also make the shape of the lid work for you by drilling from the inside out. The bit will be less inclined to roam when you're drilling from the inside of the concave rather than the outside.

HTH

Ken

Thanks for the tip Ken.
I pretty much assumed I would have to but I thought I would check with the experts first. What really concerns me is rapping on a punch with a hammer to center punch a small dent in the surface. I figure as long as the surface chipping is smaller than the diameter of the finished hole there should be no problem.

It's sort of like getting that first scratch on a new car.

I was also concerned about a large chunk of the coating chipping away when I drilled out my first WSM. It turned to be a non-issue as I don't recall any flaking happening when I marked the spot with a punch or while I was drilling.

When I did it with my second WSM, it was straight out of the box new. Since it was squeaky clean, I decided to drill it from the inside. Since I was able to drill straight down, I didn't even use a punch to make a dimple on the desired location. I might've missed the exact spot by a few thousands of an inch but the only thing that should be as complicated as rocket science is rocket science.

Here's another tip that I stole from NA$CAR you may want to consider. When you install the thermo, orient it so your usual desired target cooking temperature is at the 12 o'clock position. Even from a distance, as long as you are able to see the needle is straight up, you'll know you're in the sweet spot. How far the needle is to the left or right of vertical will tell you if you're running cold or hotter and by how much.

Have fun with the mods and while playing in the smoke during the many cooks to come.

Ken

I did not use a pilot hole and had no issues with scratching or sliding using a unibit. I simply put a few pieces of masking tape down first. I just installed mine a few months ago. I ordered my Tel-Tru direct and received it within a few days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Debo:
I did not use a pilot hole and had no issues with scratching or sliding using a unibit. I simply put a few pieces of masking tape down first. I just installed mine a few months ago. I ordered my Tel-Tru direct and received it within a few days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the best advice is to use two or three layers of masking tape to be sure the bit can't slip. Masking tape on the outside will help, but more important, have a solid piece of wood right under where the bit will come out (helps eliminate what we call "tear-out" or "chipping"). You just increase your odds of smooth bore by starting from the inside.

Rich

Back