thermometer and rack location

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi folks. Two quick questions please: If you are only cooking three slabs of ribs and need only one grate, should you use the upper or lower one? Also, is there a remote thermometer available that measures the air temperature (not the meat itself)? Thanks in advance...

Wayne

I always use the top grate, if for no other reason than it's easier to access to turn the meat. A good dual probe thermometer allows you to monitor either or both temps. Favorite of this bunch appears to be the Maverick ET-73, available at thegadgetsource.com for $39.99.

Smokin' Jim in NC

Wayne, I always use the top grate. As far as temperature...do you mean the outside air temp? Or the temp inside the cooker at the top grate?

Hi Wayne,
I usually use the top rack when cooking unless I need more space. Take a look in the Tips & Mods section of the site. There are some great articles that will give you a great education about your WSM! As far as thermometers go, I recommend the Maverick ET-73. Seems to be so popular that there is a separate thread for it. The ET-73 allows you to measure temps inside the cooker as well as meat temp. I'm using mine right now to monitor a 7 lb brisket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back