Thermo probe placement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Estes

Hi,

Based on readings here, I just picked up a Maverick ET-73 dual probe thermometer. I'm dying to do a brisket this weekend and see how it works.

How do people here run the cables for the probes? Just under the lid? Does that pinch the cables (sturdy-looking metallic cladding)? Do you run 'em through the door on the side?

Thanks for the advice and experience!!! I love this site!

-Chris Estes-

I just took the top bolt out of one of the supports. I've been using it like this for about 3 months. Save the bolt in case you ever want to put it back.

Smokin' Jim in NC

I had never read that thread before, on the mod for the cables. I like it. I do have to ask though, what is the big deal about running the cable(s) under the lid? It's not like it's a fiber optic cable, even if it gets crimped a little, it's still conductive until it's frayed. Are people seeing this or other damage happening over extended use under the lid? If so I will have to rethink my placement.

I've probably done 20 or more cooks with my ET-73 now and always run the cables under the lid.
Never had a problem and don't notice and wear either.
As long as you are reasonably careful putting
the lid down I don't foresee a problem.

Chris,

I run the wires under the lid at bit of an angle. I usually drop the smoker probe down through the vent in the lid. Haven't had any problems yet. If my Polders and ET-73's will survive being run underneath the edge of the 3-foot long 1/4" steel door of a log-burner, they'll survive the WSM lid.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time
(who has only ever fried one probe, and that was in the gas oven in the house...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back