Thermapen alternatives?

DarylB

TVWBB Fan
I have been thinking about getting a Thermapen but I really have spent too much money lately so nearly $100 for a thermometer is stressing me out. I have a Maverick but would love to have a quick read thermo for checking smaller meats or when I really dont want to mess with the Maverick.

So what are some reasonable alternatives?

Thermapen had a deal going on, $74. I'm not sure if it is still on going. Look into a Maverick PT-100 too they are a little cheaper than Termapens. I have both and I probably like the Maverick one a little better. Its bulkier than the Termapen but I like that it is back lit and I can read it during the winter months when it gets dark at 5:00 in the evenings.

Here is a video comparing the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNb_3NnsvRA&feature=youtu.be

Honestly after a couple years with my Thermapen used constantly, I think the investment is more then worth it. Of course now I want the back lit version..... Suppose it has something to do with how and what you cook. If it was just for bbq/grilling there are other less expensive options. I use mine for yogurt and cheese making, checking temps in a bread dough, even butter making... IMO One of my best investments.

I have the Thermoworks 600C, it retails for $25 and the only difference is that is has a 6 sec response. For me, I can wait a few more secs for a read. Most of the time is pretty close to instant anyway. Same quality and warranty.

I have been thinking about getting a Thermapen but I really have spent too much money lately so nearly $100 for a thermometer is stressing me out. I have a Maverick but would love to have a quick read thermo for checking smaller meats or when I really dont want to mess with the Maverick.

So what are some reasonable alternatives?

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21690-Thermometer-review

I did a review of a few models about a year ago. Size was important to me at the time. As a cook I wanted something I can put in a sleeve pocket and not be too bulky. I also liked a large readout (bad eyes). Speed was not that important as long as it's reasonable. I found that Delta Track's thermometers were a reasonal replacement. I have since given away my Thermapen to a family member and have not missed it one bit.

Thanks all. I keep going back and forth but it is good to know the alternatives, especially those you have experience with. I'll watch those comparisons later John, thanks.

Back